Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

A comment on Thermapens

Frying some shrimp now, the oil is just getting hot.  Serving with rice cooked in broth derived from a BGE cooked chicken, so if it turns out worthy of sharing I will post the cook in the OT forum.

Anyway, it occurred to me to share that since I got a Thermapen and actually know the temperature of my oil all my fried foods are turning out much better.

Pasquali Luciano
Buon appetito to all the BGE family
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·

Comments

• flemsterflemster Posts: 258
    When you say fry you mean deep fry or pan fry? Just curious.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,193
    Mostly useful for deep frying, like french fries or tonight's shrimp.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,468
    I agree on the oil thing. Fried up tater tots tonight. My wife tried to drop them in and I said "Wait a sec". I checked the temp and it was 240. Thanks, Thermapen!
    ·
  • Love my Thermapen!
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,035
    100% fully agree. image
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,458
    Good advice Doc. A must if you are using the egg to heat oil. I even use the Thermapen to check my deep fryer, so far they always agree. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Yes, they are da bomb:

The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • RaymontRaymont Posts: 253

Umm.. Naked wiz... Let's put aside the use of a charcoal cooker for a second.. (

:-O. I'm instead going to point out the pine straw you are using as a base for your grill, which is directly next to your house... This apparent lack of judgement coming from the famed grand poohbah of charcoal? [-X [-X X_X X_X

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
  • A) There was a hose just out of sight.  B) It wasn't my house.
    :))
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • Que_n_BrewQue_n_Brew Posts: 557
    Raymont said:

Umm.. Naked wiz... Let's put aside the use of a charcoal cooker for a second.. (

:-O. I'm instead going to point out the pine straw you are using as a base for your grill, which is directly next to your house... This apparent lack of judgement coming from the famed grand poohbah of charcoal? [-X [-X X_X X_X

Same thing I noticed first. Only you can prevent forest fires Whiz. image
    image.jpg 33.2K
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
    ·
  • Correction:

The Naked Whiz
    ·
    Watch out Whiz!

·
  • That's what was on the little red grill. 

The Naked Whiz
    ·
    Calamari fin soup?
    ·
  • Sharktopus steaks.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·