Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing on spider overcook:(

Just made another newbie mistake,overcooked a one inch ribeye at 500 deg on spider using ci grid.The steak was only on 3 min a side and already hit 165-170 deg:(

Lesson learned here I guess,cooking so close to the fire reduces the cook time big time....damn!
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Just cut in and it's has some pink???so why thermapen reading 165 when checked? Should be overdone...weird.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I guess the story has a happy ending ;).  Maybe you stuck the probe in too far...or not far enough and were getting the temp at the edges but the center was still lower??  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    edited August 2013

You have entered into the incredible world of the big green egg...   Enjoy!

I did some ribs night before last that stayed on a bit to long, and were reading 195-205, they were still great...   

Rowlett, Texas
  • CANMAN1976

I guess the story has a happy ending ;).  Maybe you stuck the probe in too far...or not far enough and were getting the temp at the edges but the center was still lower??  

I figure this is the case as the steaks were only 3/4 - 1 inch thick and wouldn't take much to go too far with the Thermapen.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
     I sear for about 90 seconds each side with a nice lava going and 1"+ rib eyes. I have no idea what the dome temp is because I never shut the dome until I pull the steaks. The nice thing about the spider is you don't have to get the egg to hot for a nice sear. Then I wrap in foil and when the egg is about 400 I throw them back on a raised grid until about 125 internal. Then wrap them again to let them rest a few minutes. That gets them to about medium rare where everyone seems to like them.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
     I sear for about 90 seconds each side with a nice lava going and 1"+ rib eyes. I have no idea what the dome temp is because I never shut the dome until I pull the steaks. The nice thing about the spider is you don't have to get the egg to hot for a nice sear. Then I wrap in foil and when the egg is about 400 I throw them back on a raised grid until about 125 internal. Then wrap them again to let them rest a few minutes. That gets them to about medium rare where everyone seems to like them.

That sounds like a lot of work
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

I figure this is the case as the steaks were only 3/4 - 1 inch thick and wouldn't take much to go too far with the Thermapen.
    agree. I push it in slowly and watch the readings and see where the temp bottoms before heading back up. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Buy thicker steaks.  The Thermopen works better with those.  :D
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Did you go in the top or through the side? I typically do the side with anything under 1.5 inches.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Did you go in the top or through the side? I typically do the side with anything under 1.5 inches.
    Always insert your probe from the side. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I go in at an angle from the top with the thermapen.
  • CANMAN1976
    Went in from the top on an angle but from now I will use the side.