Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(OT) Road Trip - Looking for some good BBQ (Philadelphia, PA to Kiawah Island, SC)

Taking a road trip down I-95 to a wedding in Kiawah Island, SC. 

Any good BBQ places to try or experience on the way down or way back up? VA, NC, SC?

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Have you ever been to Kiawah? Absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite places ever. Rent bikes if you have the time and watch the dolphins on Kiawah River.

BBQ-wise, Bessinger's off of 17 in Charleston(west of the Ashley) is an institution and my favorite BBQ on earth. Get the onion rings.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Bumping up for some of the Raleigh guys too, there is a bunch of good BBQ in the Raleigh/Durham area. My in-laws always go to Bullocks in Durham, we'll be having it Saturday night in fact, really good chopped, but if you like something a bit sweeter, go with the sliced.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,868
    Acn said:
    Bumping up for some of the Raleigh guys too, there is a bunch of good BBQ in the Raleigh/Durham area. My in-laws always go to Bullocks in Durham, we'll be having it Saturday night in fact, really good chopped, but if you like something a bit sweeter, go with the sliced.
    In Durham I think I prefer Q-shack (texas style) to Bullocks.  There is also Allen & Sons out near CH.

In Raleigh I haven't tried The Pit yet but I've heard good things.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Kiawah is awesome! I agree with @Eggselsior about the bikes. We go every July 4th week to kiawah and we take our bikes, we bike everywhere on the island!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Also, if you golf and don't mind ponying up 300+ for greens fees... the Ocean Course is absolutely breathtaking and world class(hosted Ryder Cup and last year's PGA championship) There are 3 other courses that are a little more reasonable but that is the one that's in all the pictures, if you know what I mean. 

The beach is the best part. Since it is a completely private island with a 10 mile beach, you can be on the beach all day and not see a soul. No big buildings make the view up the shoreline to die for. 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Rodney Scott whole hog God.in Hemmingway SC. & Sweatmans in Holly Hill both worth the trip. 
  • claybrn
    claybrn Posts: 31
    The Pit in Raleigh is really good; I always make sure to stop anytime I am in the area. If you go any night other than Monday expect a wait.
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Go to Sweatmans in Holly Hill, SC. It's an hour outside of Charleston and 10 minutes off I-26 and I-95. It wouldn't be out of your way at all.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Pit in Raleigh or White Swan in Smithfield/Selma area Or if you get a wild hair head to Greeneville and grab some B's bbq- but get there before they run out
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Ha- eggcelsior is right- ocean course is awesome but will bring you to tears
    Greensboro, NC
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    edited August 2013

The Pit is not worth the 50 minute drive from 95. Your best bet for Eastern NC bbq close to 95 is in Wilson, NC. There you will find Parker's and Bill's. They are both close together, and only a 5-10 minute venture from 95. Parker's has a menu, and Bill's has a whole-hog pig picken' buffet for both lunch and dinner.

http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/parkers_large.html

http://www.bills-bbq.com/

Edit: Make sure you bring cash if you go to Parker's.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• rhodges
    rhodges Posts: 17
    edited August 2013
    In Sc if you get off of I95 on to why 38 and go towards marion there is a bbq joint called schuler's. It's good stuff for sc bbq. I grew up in Nc and worked in my dads bbq restaurant, which he eventually sold and retired. I think why 38 is exit 180 or close to it anyway. In Nc i second parker's, it's great
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    @rhodges: What was the name of your dad's bbq restaurant, and where was it located?

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• zachawny
    zachawny Posts: 20
    Browns BBQ in kingstree, sc would be worth the detour off of I-95
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Home Team is great cue & good people in Charleston. They cook on Lang stickburners.
  • Keep it coming! I will be entering these in a database and saving them in google maps! Can't wait!

XLg BGE - JANUARY 2013

Spare rib anyone? – Adam

• rhodges
    rhodges Posts: 17
    edited August 2013
    @RaleighGuy: Ebbies. It was in Florence, Sc. It gave South Carolinians a taste of real eastern nc BBQ. We are originally from Dunn and migrated to sc. All the BBQ here has stupid mustard on it yuck!