Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beer (what's your favorite?)

Comments

• gdenby said:
    The one I'm drinking at the moment, assuming its not a "Lite" anything, or Schlitz.

There are a few that really stand out in my memory, but are impossible, or near impossible to get: 3 Floyd's "Dark Lord," Dogfishhead "120 minute," and a 1 off, Bell's "Batch 5000"

Among those that if I can find them, and can stand the bite out of my wallet, 3Floyd's "Behemoth Blond," and any year of the Thos. Hardy Ales, Fuller's "Vintage Ale."

I have to drive to the next state to get Dogfishead, and I do for the "90 minute," and the "Palo Santo."  

Beyond that,

3 Floyd's "Robert the Bruce," and "Zombie Dust"
    Bells "3rd coast Old Ale" and "2 Hearted"
    Unibroue "Fin Du Monde" and "Trois Pistoles"
    Back Road's "Maple City Gold," (a small local)
    Founder's "Old Curmudgeon,"
    Rouge "Old Crustacian"
    Starapromen Pilsner
    Synebychoff porter
    Stone "Double Bastard,"

etc. etc. etc.

I'm in Portland OR just now, and really hope to stop at Hair of the Dog, and pick up some of the "Adam'" and "Fred." Both outstanding, tho' Fred may be a little to complex for non-beer geeks.

Great selection.  I have a Three Floyd's Permanent Funeral bomber ready to enjoy soon.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
    • Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest

Been a few years since I've been able to find this in my area.  Love it.
    I found it a couple years ago, cases at Costco.  $22.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Flying Dog does really good beer, as does Dogfish Head. They are both "local" so that's nice too.

Love Flying Dog, bonus points for having Steadman as the packaging art! We've been drinking plenty of their Belgian White this summer.

I'm generally not a fan of the super hoppy IPAs, so I'll usually stick to darker beers, especially outside of summer. I've posted Heavy Seas Siren Noire, which is another local beer. I'm also partial to some Maine micro brews, since that's what I started on as a beer snob. Particularly like Shipyard Export and Geary's London Porter. Allagash Black is probably my favorite at the moment, although my local store doesn't have the 22oz bottles anymore. I brought home a case from the last time I visited Maine. I know it is cliche, but a Guinness is tough to beat.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn

rtt121 said:

Best beer in the world is Westvleteryn 12

Had the pleasure of getting a taste at Monks Cafe in philly.

If you are ever in philly.. go to monks.

Been there...awesome place!  

If you are in Asheville, you must visit the Thirsty Monk :)

My wife and I went to the Thirsty Monk last time we were in Asheville. The beer was great, but what stuck out was our appetizer, a pint of bacon!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Chubbs said:

Some of my fav right now are: Stone IPA, Highland Gaelic ale, and Two-Hearted ale

You, my friend, have a nose for good beer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2013

One serious beer.  Sadly, not available in NC.  

There is also this:

• One serious beer.  Sadly, not available in NC.  

There is also this:

Arrogant Bastard is great!  Have you splurged for the $108 bottle with lock and key yet?  Yes, it exists.  :)
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Drinking Now:

Otter Creek Copper Ale

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin

Long Trail Ale Double Bag

Orval Trappist Ale
    --------------------------------------------

Long Time:

Palm
    Negra Modelo
    New Castle Brown
    Bass
    (about any hefeweisen)

Light: .. I'm a Coors 

• JohnInCarolina
    Arrogant Bastard is great!  Have you splurged for the $108 bottle with lock and key yet?  Yes, it exists.  :)
    LOL - no I haven't seen that.  
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Maizeandbrew18 Posts: 69
    edited August 2013
    I lied, it's only $105.99...haha
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Acn

I lied, it's only $105.99...haha

That's almost as bad as the Sam Adams Utopias.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    allagash curieux
    Whale's Tale
    Spaten Octoberfest

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Wow!  I'm not sure I could even enjoy a $100ish bottle of beer!  The double bastard is 11% ABF and 3 liters comes out to just about 6 pints.  So, $100 and I would only have a moderate buzz.  :P

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    As you can see from my avatar, I love Bourbon County (the whole series, really).  My wallet and waistband (400 calories per bottle? Eep!) do not.  So, when I'm just "drinking", here are some of my favorites:

Two Brothers Domaine Dupage
    Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's
    New Glarus Spotted Cow (and Dancing Man, when it's summer)
    Avery White Rascal
    Goose Island 312

But mostly, I'm trying whatever is new on tap -- just had some Stone RuinTen last night and it was great.

My overnight cooks lately have been incorporating Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout or Bourbon Barrel Barleywine.

My other favorite beers are Founders KBS, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Central Waters Peruvian Morning, and about eleventy billion others.

I may have a problem.

~TK~
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• JohnInCarolina
    Did any of you fellow beer-lovers manage to get a hold of that Westvleteren 12 when it came out here in the states?  I caught the announcement on the radio at 8:30 in the morning and by the time I got to the store at 9:15 it was sold out.  Something like 100 packages sold in 15 minutes, which is crazy.

• Thievery
    Thievery Posts: 37
    Did any of you fellow beer-lovers manage to get a hold of that Westvleteren 12 when it came out here in the states?  I caught the announcement on the radio at 8:30 in the morning and by the time I got to the store at 9:15 it was sold out.  Something like 100 packages sold in 15 minutes, which is crazy.

I wish... even though one of the distributors was here in Austin, no such luck for Texans.
    BGE in the ATX
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Bells Two Hearted
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have some Westy 12 and 8 at the house now. It wasn't from that release though.  Got them through trading.

My favorites depend on the weather and my mood:

Like mentioned above, I'm also a Bourbon County fiend.  All styles.  What I drink the most of is probably Ballast Point Sculpin six packs.  Three Floyds Dreadnaught and Zombie Dust are up there as well.  Rochefort 10, Pannepot, Cantillon (Geueze and Fou Foune), and Russian River sours.

I have a basement full of beer. Literally.  Anybody in the area just let me know and I'll crack a few with ya.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i liked the sam adams 1994 blue bottle beer so much i still have the bottle
    :)) when i win the lottery ill just drink the blue bottle beer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Wow!  I'm not sure I could even enjoy a $100ish bottle of beer!  The double bastard is 11% ABF and 3 liters comes out to just about 6 pints.  So, $100 and I would only have a moderate buzz.  :P
    That's steep in your neck of the woods. My local place had it for 92.99 sitting up by the register. I forgot what you guys were talking about until you mentioned the size.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

Only one place had it near Baltimore but sold out in a few minutes. They'll probably not do it for a very long time since the monks only did the release to finance a new roof for the monastery.
  • YEMTrey said:
    I have some Westy 12 and 8 at the house now. It wasn't from that release though.  Got them through trading.

My favorites depend on the weather and my mood:

Like mentioned above, I'm also a Bourbon County fiend.  All styles.  What I drink the most of is probably Ballast Point Sculpin six packs.  Three Floyds Dreadnaught and Zombie Dust are up there as well.  Rochefort 10, Pannepot, Cantillon (Geueze and Fou Foune), and Russian River sours.

I have a basement full of beer. Literally.  Anybody in the area just let me know and I'll crack a few with ya.
    Where in Michigan are you?  GR here.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794

Franziskaner Hell is my new favorite, but I haven't had a chance to compare it directly to my old favorite of Westmalle Trippel.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chimay Grand Reserve (the blue one) is the favorite for my Wife and I.  At our wedding we actually had people sign two large  3liter  bottles of it as opposed to a guest book.

Belikin as in my avatar pic is pretty dam good on a hot day in Belize!
    LBGE, Twin Eagle 36" grill to hold my EGGcessories
  • Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    I'm a big New Glarus Brewery (WI) fan.  My favorites are Spotted Cow, Two Women, Cabin Fever and Totally Naked.  I've been drinking a local beer recently, made by Stone Arch Brew House called Scottish Ale and have enjoyed it quite a bit.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Simple tastes, I like St. Pauli Girl, The Spouse likes Smithwicks, the second Sprout like Yuengling and Corona,

The first Sprout went away on a school trip to Ireland, thinking beer was gross, and came home drinking Stout!  She now lives in an area with tons of micro breweries, and is a beer connoisseur.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Huge fan of Troegs Nugget Nectar when in season.  My favorite always-available is Bells Two-Hearted Ale.  Surprisingly strong and seductively smooth.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    When my folks lived in Canada I got some Labatts from time to time.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Two_Down
    Two_Down Posts: 74
    Russian. River. Brewing. Co.  Pliny the Elder - it's a DIPA and is fantastic.  Really can't praise it enough.

Huge fan of most any hoppy beers and also RRBC sours, with a good mix of stouts/aged stouts also.  In no particular order, my current favorites:

-RRBC Pliny the Elder
    -RRBC Sanctification
    -RRBC Consecration
    -RRBC Temptation
    -Green Flash Palate Wrecker
    -Stone Ruination Double Dry Hopped
    -Stone Enjoy By
    -Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Wild
    -Lagunitas Undercover Shut Down Ale
    -Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga Substitute Ale
    -Karbach Hop Delusion
    -Great Divide Chocolate/Espresso Aged Yeti
    -Stone Lucky Bastard
    -Ballast Point Sculpin
    -Ballast Point Dorado
    -Sixpoint Resin

Among many many many others.  Beer is actually my first love (over my BGE but it's getting closer).

in Houston, TX

Minimax

MBGE

LBGE

36" BS