Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next Day Dry Chicken Question

six_egg
six_egg Posts: 1,110
I cooked boneless skinless chicken breast on my egg. I cook them raised direct about 350 to 400. I use a themapen to check IT for doneness. Does poking the probe in make the chicken loose some of it juices overnight? I only say this because it seems like there is a lot of juice in the bottom of container I hold them in after I pull them from the grill. I noramlly let them rest from 15 to 30 mins before I cut or server. However the next day the chicken seems dry. Is there something I am not doing wrong?

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    This si something I always encounter (one of the reasons I hate leftovers).  but some here have suggested turning that plain grilled chicken into something else.  Such as chicken salad or what I have done is add Hot Buffalo style sauce to them the next day before heating and it helps allot.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The thermo will make it lose some juice, but not very much. The muscle fiber isn't one big balloon so only the fibers you traumatize will leak some juice. There is some lost during the rest from the overall contraction of the fibers. What temp are you cooking too? I pull at 160 and reheat in 30 sec bursts(x2-3) when reheating for lunch at work. I never have any problems with dry chicken. 

Otherwise, I repurpose the chicken in other meals throughout the week(Chicken Ceasar Salad last night with chicken from Sunday)
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    First thank for your input.
    I cook mine to 162 or 163.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I cook a batch of breast every Sunday for use in reheating I try to pull these at about 155. It helps with the carry over cook and moisture loss. (Carry over will add about 5* depending on thickness etc.). By going lower I seems as if when you nuke it they don't keep cooking.
  • Brine, brine, brine. Did I mention brine? Oh yeah, and you should brine.

Give it a try some time and see off you like it.

Sincerely

Brine-tex.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Brine, brine, brine. Did I mention brine? Oh yeah, and you should brine. Give it a try some time and see off you like it. Sincerely Brine-tex.
    What CT says, the loss moisture will not be missed....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!