Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Beer (what's your favorite?)

Who doesn't love a good beer? 

In my never ending quest to find and enjoy new beers I'd love to here what my fellow eggheads find to be superior suds.

Lately, I've been on a IPA fix enjoying Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA (and 120-minute - careful!), Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA, Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and of course some local brew, 512 IPA.

I'm also a huge Belgian fan, with Tripel Karmeliet being my front runner right now, but also enjoying La Fin du Monde and Golden Monkey.

And who doesn't enjoy a good hefeweizen in these warmer summer months?  Another local favorite for me too: Live Oak Hefe.

Anyone got some favorites or more suggestions on what to try?
BGE in the ATX

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    my beer of choice is Guinness 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Sam Adams Octoberfest when in season.  Out of season, Sam Adams Noble Pils.  But I'll try just about anything twice.  Beer selection is serously limited in my corner of VA.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

Thievery said:

"enjoying Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA"

Had a few of these last night. I am a huge IPA fan. Stone Ruination is hard to beat and probably my favorite. Hard to find though.

Some of my fav right now are: Stone IPA, Highland Gaelic ale, and Two-Hearted ale

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • my beer of choice is Guinness 

I don't drink much, but when I do I love Guinness.
  • Thievery
    Thievery Posts: 37
    Chubbs said:

Thievery said:

Had a few of these last night. I am a huge IPA fan. Stone Ruination is hard to beat and probably my favorite. Hard to find though.

Some of my fav right now are: Stone IPA, Highland Gaelic ale, and Two-Hearted ale

I've enjoyed the Stone IPA... now I'll be on the lookout for the Ruination.
    BGE in the ATX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Southern Tier Pumpking and Goose island Bourbon County. Chimay red and blue.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2013
     like all kinds of beer, but my wife has turned into an IPA junky so we usually get those.  They have stone at the gas station i can walk to so it is a go to.  Sweet Water IPA and the Torpedo are also staples.  I have tried the ruination and it is excellent.  Southern Tier Double IPA is excellent and quite reasonably priced.   My favorite I have tried was called Foothills "Seeing Double" IPA by Foothills.  We had it at Mellow Mushroom in Asheville but haven't found it since.   A few others that are good:

New Belgium Ranger, Victory Hop Devil, Victory Hop Wollup.  

I love Belgians as well and I have tried most of the Chimays and the Deleriums.  Everyone has to try the best beer in the world at least once!

The New Belgium belgian styles are pretty darn good and a great value. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Good beer characteristics, Cold and Leaded are the top two-Free puts it over the top.

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Flying Dog does really good beer, as does Dogfish Head. They are both "local" so that's nice too.
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Maizeandbrew18 Posts: 69
    edited August 2013
    Being in Michigan, I am spoiled with a TON of great breweries.  I'm a big fan of IPA's - easily my favorite style of beer.  More so American IPA's with Cascade/Centennial/Chinook/Citra hop profiles with low malt.

My current favorites?
    • Lagunitas Sucks
    • Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'
    • Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA
    • Bell's Hopslam
    • Short's Huma Lupa Lucious
    • Founder's Red's Rye
    • Founder's Harvest Ale
    • Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (perfect in every way)
    • Founder's All Day IPA
    • Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree IPA
    • New Holland Ichabod (awesome fall beer - nutmeg/pumpkin tones)
    • Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Thievery said:
    Chubbs said:

Thievery said:

I've enjoyed the Stone IPA... now I'll be on the lookout for the Ruination.
    Don't bother with Ruination - wait for Stone "Enjoy By IPA"...incredible.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Stella Artois

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Thievery
    Thievery Posts: 37

Don't bother with Ruination - wait for Stone "Enjoy By IPA"...incredible.
    Looking at their interactive map http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/mapr10.asp

Not available in Texas?  

Damn; we may have to setup some kind of beer exchange!

BGE in the ATX
  • zachawny
    zachawny Posts: 20
    Been really enjoying the Leinenkugel Summer Shandy. Hate to see it going away soon as the summer season winds down.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Best beer in the world is Westvleteryn 12

Had the pleasure of getting a taste at Monks Cafe in philly.

If you are ever in philly.. go to monks.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The 12th one...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    My beer selection changes seasonally.  Right now I am into the Belgian farmhouse beers.  I really like Duvel. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    rtt121 said:
    Best beer in the world is Westvleteryn 12

Had the pleasure of getting a taste at Monks Cafe in philly.

If you are ever in philly.. go to monks.
    Been there...awesome place!  

If you are in Asheville, you must visit the Thirsty Monk :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Will add that to the list!
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    • Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest

Been a few years since I've been able to find this in my area.  Love it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Free beer is my favorite. Cold is optional. 
  • I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer the one that pays me gobs of money!!
    Stay thirsty, my friends!
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The one I'm drinking at the moment, assuming its not a "Lite" anything, or Schlitz.

There are a few that really stand out in my memory, but are impossible, or near impossible to get: 3 Floyd's "Dark Lord," Dogfishhead "120 minute," and a 1 off, Bell's "Batch 5000"

Among those that if I can find them, and can stand the bite out of my wallet, 3Floyd's "Behemoth Blond," and any year of the Thos. Hardy Ales, Fuller's "Vintage Ale."

I have to drive to the next state to get Dogfishead, and I do for the "90 minute," and the "Palo Santo."  

Beyond that,

3 Floyd's "Robert the Bruce," and "Zombie Dust"
    Bells "3rd coast Old Ale" and "2 Hearted"
    Unibroue "Fin Du Monde" and "Trois Pistoles"
    Back Road's "Maple City Gold," (a small local)
    Founder's "Old Curmudgeon,"
    Rouge "Old Crustacian"
    Starapromen Pilsner
    Synebychoff porter
    Stone "Double Bastard,"

etc. etc. etc.

I'm in Portland OR just now, and really hope to stop at Hair of the Dog, and pick up some of the "Adam'" and "Fred." Both outstanding, tho' Fred may be a little to complex for non-beer geeks.

• With barbecue, Negra Modelo
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Bells Two Hearted
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,661
    i almost think im getting burnt out with all the micro brews, do look forward to the pumpkin ales soon to come out, prelude in the winter in maine, but mostly stick with guinness on tap or in the can(never in the bottle). new to me every day summer beer is negra modelo, takes me back to the days when bud had a dark beer on tap, dont know if bud dark was made in all their plants or maybe just the nh plant and only restaurants had it and just sold it as an unlabeled "dark beer"
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I'm generally a seasonal type drinker. Lighter during the summer months, heavier and darker during the cold months. Lone Star Light, Shiner Blonde Light and some cervezas when there are outside activities, Dos Equis, Negro Modelo or Especial and lately Tecate Light.

For some reason I've been on a big German kick lately: Julius Echter, Weihenstephaner, Schneider Weisse and Flensburger. Additional bonus is that the first three all come in 16.9 oz bottles and the last one has one of those flip tops. That means less bottles to fill for my next batch of homebrew and the flip tops are easier than crimping lids down. :D

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

For special occasions, I love Trappistes Rochefort #8.   I typically buy one bottle, and drink it slowly.  A 4 pack of Duvel is an occasional splurge as well.

In the wintertime, I like New Belgium Abbey.  In the summertime, I like Boulevard Wheat, Blue Moon, Goose Island 312, and just about any hefeweisen out there. 

I also have a favorite post-lawnmowing beer.  Miller High Life.  In the bottle.  Don't judge me.

@fishlessman   I remember the commercials for Budweiser Dark.  Martin Mull was the spokesperson, and said something along the lines of, "Dark beer isn't just for thick-necked guys named Gunther."  My old man thought it was hilarious. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Does Ice cold beer count?
    That's all I drink.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited August 2013
    My favorite beer is the 6th one. Seems to make me the happiest. (Edit: just realized I'm second to the joke @henapple!)

I like most beers, love drinking regional when I travel, especially to Munich.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.