Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lethal Injection (Brisket)

Options
OK, so my last brisket came out pretty good.  It was only my second attempt, and part of me is wondering if it wasn't simply dumb luck.  I basically followed Franklin's method.  I had a 10-lb brisket from Whole Foods (not too many other options around here) that was very expensive but very high quality.  It's not entirely clear to me it was a whole packer - I asked for one, but all the ones they had looked more to me like flats, despite the "whole brisket" on the label. 

Anyway, I went with a simple S&P rub, no injection, put it on the egg (indirect, PS legs up) with a healthy amount of apple wood chunks mixed in with the lump. I had a large drip pan filled with water.   I kept it at 250 dome and left it alone - never opened the top until about 11 hours later. No wrap, no spritz, nothing special.   I pulled it at roughly 200+, once it seemed sufficiently tender.  Served it to my folks, who said it was the best thing they've had off my BGE (and they've eaten a fair amount).  It was fairly moist - quite a bit better than the first brisket I cooked (which was a flat, no doubt).  My Dad asked me if there was anything I'd do differently the next time, and I said I thought I might try an injection.

So, any downside to injecting?  I'm up for giving it a try, and am thinking I'll keep it simple - maybe just beef broth.  Do folks let it sit with the injection overnight, or can it basically go right on?  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I have injected my briskets both ways meaning the night before and right before putting in the egg I don't see a deference my injection is beef broth worchister  sauce garlic power onion powed very simple and effective 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    I have injected my briskets both ways meaning the night before and right before putting in the egg I don't see a deference my injection is beef broth worchister  sauce garlic power onion powed very simple and effective 
    Thanks!  Did you notice a big difference with a brisket that wasn't injected at all?
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    yes the brisket comes much juicer with the injection 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    yes the brisket comes much juicer with the injection 
    Well that's not surprising.  Any change in flavor?  
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    yes big difference I forgot to mention that I also put cayenne  pepper in the mix and that shines thru 
    Long Island N.Y.