I'm searching for a good go-to charcoal, but am having some trouble. I live in southern California, and there aren't too many charcoal options. These are the ones available nearby:
1) BGE Charcoal, which I like a lot, but is pretty expensive
2) Cowboy Charcoal - never tried
3) Whole Foods Lump - never tried
4) Trader Joe's Lump - never tried
5) Best of the West Lump, which I tried and was ok flavor-wise, but sparked like crazy and was pretty awful during the lighting process
I'm currently finishing up some Ozark Oak that I ordered. That charcoal is just incredible. It's actually kind of weird how much better it is than others I've tried--perfectly sized pieces, no dust, great smoke flavor, and a nice steady burn. Wish it wasn't so expensive to have it shipped because that's all I'd use otherwise. I've also been eyeing Wicked Good Weekend Warrior because in the past it's had great reviews, but the more recent reviews I've found are all extremely negative. Everyone seems to think that the quality has declined in a big way, which is a shame because I've been very interested in it.
Anyway, given all of these options, which ones do you all prefer? Cowboy intrigues me; so does Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Anyone tried them all? Thoughts?