Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Giving royal oak another shot

Options
2»

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I'm completely happy with RO.  I do use Lazzari's Mesquite lump occasionally on a beef cook.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Opened to sort my first bag of Royal Oak (17.4# USA) from Wally World last night...  Not too much sorting, they were mostly (80%) small pebbles between 1 and 1.5".  A few 3" pieces I could use to build a base, only 4 small uncharred pieces of wood, not too much dust/fines.  It smells really good compared to Cowboy & Frontier, but, a lot smaller in sizes.  I doubt it was mishandled since I got these bags off a clean pallet in the garden center.  Depending on how it burns tonight, my preference right now are:

1) Frontier (USA).
    2) Royal Oak (USA).
    3) Cowboy.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    It is my understanding that Publix is rebranded Royal Oak
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Options
    Found a nice size piece of raw maple in a bag. Complained and Basques says it happens!
    Brampton, Ontario

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Hey, cut that sucker down and you got some nice smoking wood!
    Dunedin, FL
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Yep, it happens, but only because their process allows it.  If the Dirty Jobs episode about Fire King lump was accurate, somebody watches the lump as it goes into each bag, so something like this would happen only rarely, like if the guy was drunk or pissed at his employer.  Hopefully, it doesn't happen often.

But it doesn't look as big as the monster I found in the Kamado Joe lump.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I pulled out a piece of lump from an older wicked good bag the other day that still had brown bark on it. My go to lump now is fogo. If you don't like mostly big pieces its not for you but I put 3 huge pieces in on a cook a couple weeks ago and like 3 cooks later I was adding some lump and could still point out the pieces of fogo cause they were bigger still than the fresh lump I was pouring in.