Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lomo Saltado

Options
Aviator
Aviator Posts: 1,757
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum

This is another of our favs. Very easy and quick to cook up and serve.

Peruvian Lomo Saltado served with white rice and French fries.

Sauce is 2Tbs of soy and red wine vinegar, Onions chilies (Aji ) and peppers, They had top sirloin that I love, sliced thin and mixed with minced garlic, salt and pepper. First, add oil to wok and when hot, sear meat and remove. Add veggies to wok, then the sauce and don't let them get too well done. Add stock and boil, add meat and remove from heat. Add tomato wedges and cilantro. Serve immediately with white rice pressed into a cup and served and a small order of fries.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Fries seem out of place for this asian dish. Is it part of the dish or just your own creation?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good, although I agree with @rholt about the fries. But then again, what do I know about Peruvian cooking? Absotutely nothing, that's for sure. The flavors sound really good. Can I have mine without the green bell peppers?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stansrb
    stansrb Posts: 4
    Options
    Nice cook, 
    Great Peruvian dish, missing the olives and hard boiled egg ;)  The thick cut fries are a must!
    Raleigh NC
  • Aviator
    Options
    Lomo Saltado is served with rice and fries. Always!!!

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    rholt said:

Fries seem out of place for this asian dish. Is it part of the dish or just your own creation?

Key word: Peruvian

This is a South American dish and pappas are quite common in the dish. Pappas fritas are a typical shortcut to save time since they are already cooked.
  • Griffin
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Learn something new every day. Now you got me wanting to look up Peruvian dishes. I'll try anything...well maybe not the cuy chactado they serve up...then again, maybe I would. I'm sure a few cervezas could sway me to try guinea pig. 

Rowlett, Texas

• stansrb
    Options
    @Griffin - you will want to get your courage up with some pisco sours!  Cuy is actually pretty good, like any "strange" food you just have to move past what it is and go by taste.  

@Aviator - have you ever made Aji de Gallina, this would be an interesting meal to make completely on the egg!

I can post some recipes if anyone likes, I have not attempted any of them on the egg yet...
    Raleigh NC
  • Griffin
    Options
    I looked up a coupla recipes for pisco sours @stansrb. Some had eggs some not, what's more authentic? Not sure if I could find pisco in Dallas, but I'd give it a try. And I was kidding around, I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food. I always like to try what the locals eat and if cuy is on the menu, then cuy it is The aji de gallina sounds interesting.

Rowlett, Texas

• Aviator
    Options
    @Stansrb, no I have not, at least not yet.

Chattanooga, TN.

• stansrb
    Options
    @Griffin,  eggs are authentic, the whites give you a nice frothy top to float the bitters on.  I am sure you can find pisco in dallas, I can find it here in Raleigh these days.  It is one of the new fad liquors it seems.  Im gonna have to try making aji de gallina on the egg soon now!  Man im hungry now
    Raleigh NC
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    On my way down...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Options
    Hmmm...gotta restock the bourbon tomorrow on the way home from work. Might look for it.

Rowlett, Texas