Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First tri tip

So I picked up some tri tips this weekend on my US adventure. I want to cook one for tonight's dinner, so looking for some advice for cooking this up on my new Mini.
First cook on the Mini and first tri tip.

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html

Scroll down to Santa Maria Style Tri-tip.  I used McCormicks California style garlic (coarse grind blend).  I couldn't find anything labeled "granulated garlic". 

Definitely get some oak for smoking!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Don't know anything about the mini, but I love cooking tri tip.  I use the same homemade rub (brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, paprika, nutmeg, garlic powder, salt and pepper) I use for ribs and butts. Recently,  I have been doing the reverse sear bringing the temp to about 115 before pulling for the sear. Last time I think I used raised indirect at about 275.  

After the sear, I cut the tri tip on top of a board sauce.  Sauce is simple; olive oil, fresh thyme (dried works too) cilantro, diced jalapeño and a little salt and pepper. Be creative, use flavors you like.   Coat each slice in the sauce/juice mixture and enjoy. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2013
    I called my 1 local dealer and asked if the had a mini platesetter. They said yes. I drove 45 minutes to have them tell me, we dont have any but we can order you one. 2-3 weeks. I guess i will
    Have to change my cook plans. Going to cook it at about 250 direct until it is about 120 then turn it up and give it a good sear.
    Tri tip is rubbed up and ready to go on in an hour.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Congrats on the Mini!

Did you get a Mini Woo or plate setter so you have a way to go indirect or raised direct?

I'm partial to a reverse sear. Here's a post on how I cook mine: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143349/tri-tip-tutorial

My set up with a Mini Woo looks like this:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I prefer to flip the thin end up & tie or skewer it instead of tucking it under as shown to allow the fat cap to take the brunt if the heat.

If you finish with a quick sear, have tongs for the flip and keep your hands clear of the fireworks you'll likely get:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Try not to overcook it and slice thin against the grain for the most tender pieces. Enjoy!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • hondabbq
    No plate setter. As in my post, dealer screwed me today. Hence my change in strategy. .
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    hondabbq said:
    No plate setter. As in my post, dealer screwed me today. Hence my change in strategy. .
    Is he going to pay for your gas? That's awfully douche-y of him. I hope it was just miscommunication. 
  • You may just change the culture of meat in Canada if you bring in Tri-tip!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq said:
    Is he going to pay for your gas? That's awfully douche-y of him. I hope it was just miscommunication. 

I use him as little as possible. Didn't like them right from when I started looking buying my large. That is why I bought both in the US. My dealer in the US didn't have a PS in stock either but at least they had the mini. I am tryin to get dizzy dust shipped to me directly so I don't have to buy it there either.
  • hondabbq
    edited August 2013
    Little more done than I would have liked. It cooked quicker than I thought. Even at a med well it was still juicy and tender. Sad I only brought back 4.
  • This place is a never ending knowledge base - I feel so meat ignorant (I had to Google Tri Tip...).
    Looks great Hondabbq - added to endless list of things to try.
    At this rate I am going to have to start inviting random people over to eat all the food I Egg.