Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork chops

Options
Bruce Fischer
Bruce Fischer Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm gonna cook a bunch of pork chops tonight. I've never cooked pork chops on the egg. These are only about 3/4 of an inch thick. They are center cut loin chops with the bone still attached. Looking through the recipe section, the consensus seems to be cook 'em hot and fast. I've got them soaking in a brine now and figured I'd rub them with some dizzy dust a couple of hours before I put 'em on the grill.
I'm all ears, if anybody has any advice or suggestions. This will be the first meal I've prepared for my parents since I got the BGE a few months ago. And like I said, it's the first time I've done pork chops.
Thanks,
'bluffer

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    badbluffer, I normally cook my chops anywhere from 350-450. The ones you have are not too thick so I think you're safe to go with the higher temps but don't let then get good and brown on the outside but undercooked on the inside. Medium rare is fine for beef but not for pork. If you have a meat thermometer, check for an internal of at least 150. Mine take me about 20 minutes total. Don't let them get overdone as pork gets much tougher if it dries out.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    badbluffer,
    I do a T-Rex method on my pork chops, with good results. Sear both sides in a very hot Egg for about a minute or two, then take them off the Egg, shut the Egg down, and wrap the chops in foil for 15-20 minutes. Put them back on the cooled down Egg and test them with an instant-read thermometer after about 5 minutes. The internal temp should be between 140-145. Take the chops off, and let the meat rest again for 10 or 15 minutes. The pork chops are perfectly cooked, but still tender and juicy. Anything hotter than than 145 internal, IMHO, and you're approaching shoe leather.

• badbluffer, try marinating your pork chops in your favorite
    "Italian" salad dressing, with the juice of 2 lemons added.
    I always try to get chops 1" to 1-1/4" thick, they dont cook up
    too quickly then,and seem to be more flavorful. Good luck!

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    badbluffer,[p]I just did chops last weekend. I T-Rexed them to 145 internal after marinading them. Sometimes I add some ginger to the marinade below, sometimes I use beer, sometimes I use honey. Sometimes I marinade 5 minutes, sometimes 5 hours. I have an almost full compliment of Dizzy Pig now, so I will have to try that soon.[p]Anne Lee’s Marinade[p]Pork[p]1/3 C. soy sauce
    1/3 C. dry sherry
    ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper
    1 clove crushed garlic
    ½ tsp. sugar
    Tobasco to taste (3-5 dashes)

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    badbluffer
    you might want to try making a little pocket in them and stuffing them with chopped dried apricots and maderia. cook the dried chopped apricots with the wine until the wine is gone. stuff the pork chops (not too much) coat the outside with a little apricot preserve (no sugar) and cook on the egg as suggested. your parents will be knocked out.
    billyg