Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

31 lbs of Pork, I may be crazy

I have had my egg for about 6 weeks now, have yet to do a pork butt, but could not wait any longer.  I have a few nights this week I am "batching it", and have a flexible work schedule, so decided to take it on as an overnighter tonight.  I have been reading extensively on this forum, and studied Elder Ward's method on Naked Whiz, and since it is so rich in details, decided that was the method I would follow.  Planned to light the fire at 10:30.

It seemed a waste to build a big fire and go to all that trouble for a single piece of meat, and it occurred to me that some of my friends might like to throw a butt on my grill.  I sent an email and got two takers.  Had everything arranged, fire laid, rub mixed, and a 3rd friend walked into the yard with another pork butt at 8:30 tonight.  No problem, I had a triple batch of rub, my Egg is an XL, just needed to go to a raised grate to accomodate all this meat.  Scary thing, is I have never done a pork butt, and I am starting off with 4 at once!  I am using the plate setter with a drip pan, apple chunks for smoke, and about 10 lbs of Wegmans lump (made by Royal Oak).  The raised grate is a standard Weber 22" held up by 3 flower pots.

Lit the chimney at 10:30, put the coals on the carefully laid fire at 10:45, had the meat arranged and the lid closed at 10:50.  Lots of smoke at first (as I expected), but it settled and hit my 200 deg target about 20 minutes later.

It is now past midnight, I have been holding 200 for over an hour, so I am going to bed.  I will check a couple of times during the night.  Will post some updates later, and pictures once the cook is finished (if you're lookin', you ain't cookin').
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Very aggressive cook so early with the Egg. Fortunately, pork butts are very forgiving. Good luck and looking forward to the results.
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    So far everything is working perfectly.  Checked at 3:30 AM, got up at 6:15, dome is holding steady just south of 200.  Meat temp is up to 145.

The PGA championship is in town this week, I am headed off to watch a few hours of practice rounds this morning, plan to open the vents at noon and bring the temp up to finish at 200. 
    Rochester, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Enjoy the cook and the golf...

I'm sure you are creating a lot of pork magic!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Good luck. Sounds like all is going well so far.
    Dunedin, FL
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Hey, it is 4 butts only one of which you paid for. I love experimenting with outside investors money. The beauty of butts is that they are very forgiving. Sounds like this will be a hit. I'm impressed you can hold it at 200, my large tends to choke out after 6-8 hours at that temp. Perhaps if I had a digiq or some such device I could do it. Having said that I get great low and slow at 250
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    You aren't crazy, you are an egghead. 200 dome is low. That means grid is in the 175 range. Roughly. I would bump it up to at least 250 dome. I like 275 dome personally. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Go big or go home!! Best of luck, I'd bump it to 275, but that's just me. You'll be fine at 200, it'll just take longer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Sounds like fun times... dive right in!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Cookinbob
    edited August 2013
    I came home at 11:30, dome temp was up to 250, meat at 154.  That makes 13 hours since I lit the fire, so I am not choking out.   I opened things up and the temp took off to 400 quickly.  I am planning to hold 375 until the meat hits 200, then FTC.  We'll see how long it takes to finish.
    Rochester, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited August 2013
    With butts as with any hunk of meat-they will all cook at their own pace so check them as you get into the 190's-I find when the "bone pulls with about no resistance", you are finished.  Also, the top butt may run a little quicker as it is higher in the dome if you didn't roate them.  FWIW-looks good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    edited August 2013
    3:30 this afternoon the meat hit 200 and I took it off the grill.  FTC and waiting for dinner time...my buddies will be picking theirs up after work.  Of course there were some scraps that stuck to the grate and had to be eaten immediately. Great bark, falling off the bone - it is pretty clear why pork butt is everybody's favorite Q.  Can't wait for dinner

The fire was mostly burned, but I removed the plate setter, opened everything wide and had enough left to get to 550 and clean the grates.  My drip pan may be one and done though.

A successful cook thanks to all the great info I have learned on this forum.  Thanks all!

Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    Fall apart tender and moist. Incredible flavor ( but you all know that) One of the best things I ever ate!
    Rochester, NY
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Great work and thanks for follow up!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • What were your friends reactions?
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I always do at least three or four and freeze the leftovers after vacuum packing. If doing all the work for the overnight cook, you might as well maximize your cook.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great work.  Very well done!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Great work! Love the multiple butt cook - very impressive.
  • Cookinbob
    What were your friends reactions?
    I had mine pulled and sauced before they came by, so they had to give a try.  Just the smell when you walked in the door was enough!   All were blown away by how tender and tasty it was, excited to get theirs home to dig in.

Definitely the best pork I ever did.  Also my  first time with the FTC method - I am hooked.  Hours after these came off the fire one in the cooler was still way too hot to hold!
    Rochester, NY
  • Hey CookinBob, Sounds like you're a natural. Enjoy the Egg and all the great food you'll be cookin'. You know Kevin will be buzzin' around like a seagull at the beach. Haha. BTW, a 22" paella pan fits just right in the XL Egg.
  • Cookinbob
    edited August 2013
    Roadking said:
    Hey CookinBob, Sounds like you're a natural. Enjoy the Egg and all the great food you'll be cookin'. You know Kevin will be buzzin' around like a seagull at the beach. Haha. BTW, a 22" paella pan fits just right in the XL Egg.
    Good to hear from you Roadking!  I'd say a 22" pan would make enough to feed 20 people anyway.  I would have to buy a new table to feed them all!
    Rochester, NY