Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Rescue

ohiolion
ohiolion Posts: 28
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
My wife texted me in the middle of the day yesterday upon finding a large bge on the local facebook garage sale page for $100 asking me if I wanted another egg. While I am glad she asked I guess I need to work on her that of she sees an egg for that price that is not broken to just buy it. Guess the guy was selling cause he wanted an xl.

I picked up the egg last night, large egg with nest and my lbge now has a sibling; it is like I won the lottery. Pic below of them bonding last night.

The daisy wheel was damaged, somehow this guy managed to break the tabs of that hold the handle. I don't know how else he mistreated the egg but it is in a much better place now.

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Nice find, the daisy wheel probably broke opening the lid on cement and falling off. This just happened to my buddy a visitor opened his egg and the daisy wheel fell off and broke in the same place.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77
    To me, it looks like the daisy wheel fell off into the grass and may have been clipped with the lawn mower.

Please don't ask how I'd come up with that one...

...don't judge me ;)

StlScott

PS: Amazing find! Kudos to your wife for finding it.
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350

I would suggest a nice clean burn before using.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    That's awesome..

@Mickey doesn't even use his daisy wheel, you might be OK!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Great find!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• ohiolion
    Hic said:

I would suggest a nice clean burn before using.

Burn it out last night after I got it set up.  From the look of the egg and my hands from carrying the egg broken down in parts, it definetly needed it. 

It was dark when I started and did not pay much attention to how much gasket residue was left on the egg, but I found out this morning when I could not open the egg.  Guess another, much smaller, fire is in order.

• ohiolion
    StlScott said:
    PS: Amazing find! Kudos to your wife for finding it.
    Yeah I am proud of her, although I probably can't complain about her looking and buying stuff from the facebook garage sale list for a while.  Probably something I can live with all things considered.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

$100 for that?  You are definitely doing something right!  Like @sumoconnel says, you can do a lot without the DFMT.  I have been eggsperimenting with cooks in the 300-400 degree range not using the daisy wheel, just controlling temp with the lower vent and it works fine.

Super-good for your wife! 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Excellent find - she deserves some jewelry or at least an 8 course LBGE dinner :)
  • Excellent find - she deserves some jewelry or at least an 8 course LBGE dinner :)
    That could set a dangerous precedent. After all, this is what a good wife should be doing! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My daisy wheel has never come close to falling off....the lid of the egg only opens to what, 45 degrees? How does that happen?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Gogogordy said:
    My daisy wheel has never come close to falling off....the lid of the egg only opens to what, 45 degrees? How does that happen?
    At my house, it happened early on when I lifted the lid with a hot fire and when the heat hit my arm, I flung the lid the rest of the way, catapulting the daisy wheel onto concrete and breaking the tab.  Lesson learned on many levels.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Sorry to hear that cssmd27 but then it didnt really fall off. Im curious if/how one can actually fall of an upright, operable BGE?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I personally don't use my DFMT unless I am doing low and slow. Usually do not ave an issue controlling down to 300 or so using just the bottom vent.
    Clarendon Hills, IL

That could set a dangerous precedent. After all, this is what a good wife should be doing! 

What a good wife "should" be doing and what is actually done are two seperate things. It never hurts to show appreciation for the things that a good wife does - IMHO.
    :D
  • I will never comment what a good wife should be doing. The inference is she's not doing it & invites comments on what a good husband should be doing. I'm sure kicking back & watching football would not be on the list of things I should be doing. And it's almost football season!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I think it all depends @Fred19Flintstone... if you're an inconsolable grouch every time your Wolverines or Lions loss then watching football is probably not on the list of things you should be doing. If you find that it relaxes and relieves you of the many stresses inherent in being a good husband then I'd say it is on the list.

In my case, having been a Cowboys fan for 45+ years I take pleasure in watching them win or being reminded what a boob Jerry Jones is every time they lose. So for me, watching football is definitely on the list!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Awesome score! You could always spring for one if those eggware SS vent caps to replace the daisy wheel. I am sure it cook fine as is. Maybe plug the holes where the tabs broke off with foil.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The economic term "oportunity cost" says when you spend money or spend time doing A, you can't spend money or spend time doing B.

That's a fancy way of saying I can't mow the grass while watching football.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice score even with a broken DFMT!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    ohiolion - Go to any home improvement store, get a 2 part epoxy called "JB Weld", mix up a small batch of that and fill the crack/gap with a bead of that. It is awesome stuff and will withstand very high heat. I broke a leg off my platesetter and glued it with some JB and it has been great ever since!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2013
    Excellent buy, kudos to SWMBO - glad someone who can appreciate it picked it up and not someone who would take it home fill it with briquettes and cook with the dome open.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Nice grab.  Very nice grab
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gogogordy said:
    I had this happen to me once, but luckily it landed in the pine straw behind the egg and no damage was done. This can happen very easily by having the daisy wheel open about 25% and the pivot point at about the 2 o'clock position. Then when you open the lid, gravity opens the daisy wheel to 100% and the enertia is enough to pull the whole thing off.

Also...

I wedged a piece of 1x4 in the ceramic lid to allow humidity to escape and avoid mold growth. That additional 3/4in of elevation is enough to send it toppling off if I don't open the lid slowly. And, no, my concrete is not sloped. I wish it were because this is the pad for my pool and a little water drainage would be nice.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Here is a little nugget I was told the other day. The daisy wheel is designed to have the bge wording facing the back. If you are standing in front of you egg and can read it the as you open the egg the vent will swing as you open it causing the daisy wheel to fall off. If you wheel is swing turn it around.
    Southern Indiana