Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another noob question...

As I've set up my lbge, I've noticed that I can have the grill either lower down towards the fire (on top of the fire ring) or higher towards the felt line (using the plate setter - about 1" below the felt). I've seen people mention products like the Woo or the Spider to raise the grill to be equal to or higher than the felt line. Can one of you veterans explain why this is important?
What kind of cooks benefit from a higher grill level?

Thanks

PS - as a proud Spartan, I'm loving the BGE color scheme.

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    The plate setter gives you indirect cooking, a spider with a stone does the same.Raising the grid with some method other than the plate setter will give direct cooking with a little distance between your food and the coals. A little milder heat also raising gets your food a little closer to the dome where you get some reflective heat,(cooking from both sides now ). Also raised you will be closer to the thermometer in the dome ,so actual cooking temp will be the temp reading.I am sure someone else will explain it better!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Chicken is one that benefits grately (pun intended). Keep it higher from the coals with the fat dripping down onto them and being closer to the dome which radiates heat down and helps crisp up the skin.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I don't have one but, from what I understand, the spider is used to lower the cooking service down closer to the fire for high intensity (i.e., heat) searing.

Pizza, on the other hand, is typically done as high in the dome as you can get it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

As I've set up my lbge, I've noticed that I can have the grill either lower down towards the fire (on top of the fire ring) or higher towards the felt line (using the plate setter - about 1" below the felt). I've seen people mention products like the Woo or the Spider to raise the grill to be equal to or higher than the felt line. Can one of you veterans explain why this is important?
    What kind of cooks benefit from a higher grill level?

Thanks

PS - as a proud Spartan, I'm loving the BGE color scheme.

I like that "bge tool holder" in the corner of your deck.

Little Rock, AR

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    HNL said:
    As I've set up my lbge, I've noticed that I can have the grill either lower down towards the fire (on top of the fire ring) or higher towards the felt line (using the plate setter - about 1" below the felt). I've seen people mention products like the Woo or the Spider to raise the grill to be equal to or higher than the felt line. Can one of you veterans explain why this is important? What kind of cooks benefit from a higher grill level? Thanks PS - as a proud Spartan, I'm loving the BGE color scheme.
    Go Green, I live in Diamondale, Mi. Do you live in MI.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Cooking chicken direct on a raised grid is my "go-to". As mentioned, pizza cooked high in the dome helps to put more heat on the top which makes for great pizza.

Proud Sparty, eh? From where do you hail? GO BLUE from Flint.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I think the prime example of raised direct is spatchcocked chicken, some do it indirect, but for crispy skin, raised direct is the preferred method. 

Other cooks include thick chops, wings and brats. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    I currently live in Pittsburgh but look forward to coming back to EL a few times a year for tailgate. I grew up in Ann Arbor but got to EL as fast as I could. Both of my parents went to UM, my bro and I both went to State.
  • My folks went to UM, my bro & sis are Spartys. I'm a proud EMU grad back when they were Hurons. Always been a Michigan fan and EMU Football blows.
    Flint, Michigan
  • HNL
    HNL Posts: 31
    Fred...looks like both teams will be decent this fall, should be a fun season.
  • I didn't realize football was played outside the state of Alabama? Roll Damn Tide

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013