Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Salmon question?

Options

Good day folks, its my wife and I second annaversary today and i was debating doing a whole stuffed salmon.How would you cook it.Wrapped in foil,planked or right on the grill and for about how long?

First time doing fish on the egg so just wanted to get a few opinions:)

Thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Happy Anniversary! I've never done a whole salmon so, unfortunately, I can't be of any real help. I have done whole trout before and usually just do that direct.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    CANMAN1976 - I have done cedar planked Salmon on the Egg with a maple dijon baste and it was amazing.
    I don't have the recipe I used unfortunately :(
    If I find it I will PM you the link.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Hey Congrats on your anniversary!! Can't help you much as I've never done a stuffed one. I guess it would cook pretty much like a regular one so I'd probably go planked. Maybe 400 for about 30 minutes or so, not sure on time, depends on how big it is and the stuffing. I will say that the old saying "once it flakes with a fork, its done" is wrong. Once it flakes with a fork, you've overcooked it. USFDA suggests 145F, but personally I think that's too high. 130-135 for us.

If you are gonna wrap it in foil, why not just throw it in that oversized box in the kitchen? The foil would negate any benefit you got from cooking it on the grill. Inquiring minds want to know...what are you stuffing your salmon with?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive done stuffed whole salmon in a pan in the egg no foil wrap, about 350 indirect. made up an apple craisen type bread stuffing with calvodos but dont think i ever saved the recipe. i dont like poached salmon so i dont wrap it, but if you do theres lots of recipes for the fillet done in salmon in parchment paper recipes out there which would be great for an annaversary. another option would be in a salt crust
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

Thanks for the advice peeps....going to do some sort of bread stuffing maybe with apples and  savory at 350 indirect.( I always put savory in stuffing).Im Pressed for time as Im working till 4 and got to get and prepare the salmon so hopefully it pans out this evening!!

• fishlessman
    Options
    if you have leftovers this was pretty easy and its really good with the tomato dill sauce
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/213861/salmon-pie-with-tomato-dill-sauce
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    heres the apple stuffed one i did, notice the tons of responses i got
    :))
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/181084/salmon-with-apple-raisin-craisin-stuffing
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    SWMBO has a couple of "Taste of Home" cookbooks, any recipe we have tried works very well. Have not done this one, but was planning on using it this weekend, pinks are running here now and have a couple in the freezer. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    It's on.
    Indirect at 350 stuffed with onions,apples,crasins and savoury bread stuffing!!!!
    Hope it tastes as good as it looks!!!

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Canman if you don't know how to cook fish I bet your neighbours will.  When we where in Newfoundland last year the fish was fantastic, actually I don't recall having a bad meal.

Gerhard

Oh actually I do there was a fish and chip trailer on the way to Twillingate that had the greasiest cod they had a nice picnic area right by the water so the view kind of made up for it
  • CANMAN1976
    Options
    Cooked lots of fish just never egged it before.twillingate is an aWesome spot with lots if icebergs and great deep fried cod,been there many times.

I did learn tonight that such a large piece Of salmon will not cook evenly because of it's uneven thickness had to put it back on in pieces so it would cook through the thicker parts. It was the best salmon I ever had though very good