Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet Success

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I usually get home from work too late to cook during the week, but tonight SWMBO had everything laid out for me to cook, including a new sweet potato recipe. I'm not usually a big fan of sweet potatoes, but these were out of sight.

We cut up two sweet potatoes into fairly thin slices (maybe 1/8") and boiled for about five minutes until they just started to get tender. Drained, patted dry, and brushed both sides with EVOO. Grilled raised direct about 4-5 minutes per side at 450 grate. Removed from grill and tossed with a dressing of green onions, cooked bacon, thinly crushed pecans, Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar. Wow! We fought over leftovers.

Served with thin cooked steaks marinated in Claude's.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• Holepuncher
    Options
    Love me some sweet taters, Will need to try this, Thanks for sharing,
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Great recipe
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    The grilled sweet potato is fast becoming our "go to" potato option. I just cut them into 1/4" slices toss in EVOO with some S&P and grill them at around 350* (no boiling); about 10 minutes  per side. 

Will have to give your dressing a try sometime.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited August 2013
    Options
    The grilled sweet potato is fast becoming our "go to" potato option. I just cut them into 1/4" slices toss in EVOO with some S&P and grill them at around 350* (no boiling); about 10 minutes  per side. 

Will have to give your dressing a try sometime.
    We have done this with regular baking potatoes.  Will have to try it with sweet next. 
    Rich
    Long Island, NY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Sounds great. Wish Mrs. G would eat sweet potatoes.

Any idea on how much carbs are in sweet potatoes compared to regular taters?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Here you go @Griffin... I did the heavy lifting for you  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth. I did some lifting on my own and I think I'll skip the sweet potatoes. They sound good, but too many carbs for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Griffin... I understand. If you're ever off the low-carb diet, give them a try. 

Funny thing for me... as a kid growing up, the only way I ever saw sweet potatoes served were at Thanksgiving in some kind of marshmallow casserole. I never got near them and that aversion carried over well into my adult life.