Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Sauce For Hot Dogs

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited August 2013 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Vinegar (white or cider)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Tabasco (or Sriracha)
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 Onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons butter

Cook the onions in the butter until they are slightly colored and then add all the other ingredients.  Simmer until the sauce thickens.  Optional: Add 1/4 pound bacon (chopped + pre-cooked) and mushrooms when the sauce is almost ready.  Serve on hot dogs and enjoy!

Comments

• zachawny
    zachawny Posts: 20
    Essentially what we call hot dog chili where I come from except hot dog chili would also consist of browned ground beef
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited August 2013
    imageHere's a knock off of the HD sauce served at the Varsity in Atlanta. It was supplied to us back in 2002 by egger Chuck Lane. I've been making and loving it ever since. I always make a double batch and then freeze "pucks" of it for 2 or 3 dogs later. It IS GREAT!!!

Chuck Lane's Chili Dog Sauce

1 pound ground chuck
    1 3/4 cups water
    2 tablespoons chile powder
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 teaspoon granulated onion
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 dash tobasco saucePut water and all ingredients except meat into saucepan and stir well. Add meat, breaking it up with your fingers as you go. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and leave uncovered until nearly all water is gone and the consistency is the way you like it. This is just about as good as the chili at the Varsity here in Atlanta. They make great chili dogs!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I like bacon wrapped dogs with chili and mustard. try it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    That sounds great Paq!  I'm always looking for an excuse to try something new on a dog!  I recently discovered the Kings Hawaiian buns in my area and they are really good.  They are the "new england" style like the ones in your pic.  They grill/toast up nicely.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    looks good to me, spicey ketchup with onions and you have the right kinda rolls
    :D bet the sauce would be great squirted on some homemade beans
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it