Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

theres water in my egg

Options
dont know if its the intense humidity this summer or if its because my eggs are getting older and the glaze doesnt work as well as it once did but my eggs are soaking in tons of water. this pic was more than 4 hours into a low and slow, see the water pooling up on the lip, so much water pooled up thru the lip its looking clean again. i think this egg is from 2002. ive never seen this before, sure some moist moldy eggs get posted but never this

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Dragonwmatches
    Options
    That looks like Egg white-chock full of protein! :-O
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Options
    Interesting, I would do a clean high temp burn and see if that produces a lot of water as well.  Hopefully the high temp will draw any moisture out.  After thats done I'd replace the gasket (both on the lip and put one on the cap as well), and make sure the bottom vent's silicon caulk hasn't failed.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    Mud Pig said:
    Interesting, I would do a clean high temp burn and see if that produces a lot of water as well.  Hopefully the high temp will draw any moisture out.  After thats done I'd replace the gasket (both on the lip and put one on the cap as well), and make sure the bottom vent's silicon caulk hasn't failed.
    havent had gaskets on this egg for maybe 7 or 8 years, just never seen it happen like this. that silicone on the lower vent may be the problem, ill give that a look. i let it run at 275 on a full load of lump last night, hope its dry now. ive seen eggs get moist inside but never like this coming from the top.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I opened up my small yesterday and found her full of mold.  I think it has been about a month since I cooked on it.  I loaded her up and did a high temp burn and she was sweating water out like crazy. I had water dripping out the top of the dome. 

My small has always been much more prone to mold and I couldn't understand why.  I think it is much more porous than my large, and water actually seeps in through the ceramic.  I might have to consider a cover. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Definitely a humidity thing. My egg was closed up for a week while I was on vacation. We got an unseasonably high amount of rain during that time and I came back home to mold. Burn it up and egg on.
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    rholt said:
    Definitely a humidity thing. My egg was closed up for a week while I was on vacation. We got an unseasonably high amount of rain during that time and I came back home to mold. Burn it up and egg on.
    ...I should add that after about 45 minutes at 600+ she is as good as new ;).  Grilled chicken sammiches for dinner last night were out of sight. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @smokeypitt

My small is molding bad. It's happened 3 times this summer. I haven't been using it as much as I was, and it's more humid, and it's out in the rain now. I might need to fix some of those problems.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @smokeypitt My small is molding bad. It's happened 3 times this summer. I haven't been using it as much as I was, and it's more humid, and it's out in the rain now. I might need to fix some of those problems.
    Load her up with lump and let her burn.  Be prepared for some pretty nasty "sweat" to ooze out of her ;)