Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef chuck roll

Options
Thumpa
Thumpa Posts: 2
I'm smoking a chuckie  for the first time. 18lbs in cryovac from Sam's. I have been researching other posts. Looking for a few tips. Smoke the whole thing, or cut into in sections? Any school of thought on hours per pound? I know to shoot for 205 I.T. for best shredding...Any other tips appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I have looked everywhere for a Chuck roast that size, but never find anything over ~4#. Can you post a pic? Well be watching this thread with interest...
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Thumpa
    Thumpa Posts: 2
    Options
    I have looked everywhere for a Chuck roast that size, but never find anything over ~4#. Can you post a pic? Well be watching this thread with interest...
    Will do!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    I would cut it in half or thirds to reduce cooking time.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Look up pepper stout beef. Great way to cook it
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Thumpa said:
    I'm smoking a chuckie  for the first time. 18lbs in cryovac from Sam's. I have been researching other posts. Looking for a few tips. Smoke the whole thing, or cut into in sections? Any school of thought on hours per pound? I know to shoot for 205 I.T. for best shredding...Any other tips appreciated. Thanks!
    what ive done with them that size is cut the chuck eye roast out, about 10 to 11 pounds for the pulled beef and grind the rest. i go even a little higher in temp, 210/215. when you get it out of the cryo there will be some flaps and fatty areas that you will probably want to remove, the center is really clean, free of heavey fat and stringyness
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it