Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalepeno overload

Options
yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
My wife's Jalepeno plant is going crazy. Any ideas besides abt's to dwindle this stash?
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    I am growing some of my own, 3 plants were doing just fine, until some critter came in the night and bite the main stem of all 3 plants, left them in the planter and they are growing again. To answer your question, a buddy of mine, freezes his and them uses them through out the winter. Haven't tried it my self yet. Ya might try that.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    Armadillo eggs. Jalapeño stuffed with cheddar wrapped in sausage and smoked. One of my favorites.
    Edina, MN

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Chicken Bombs! image
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Hey Que, mind sharing the recipe, please.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    Over the weekend I had fried jalapeños done like fried okra. They were awesome.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I smoke mine and then dehydrate them. You can rehydrate in the future but most of them go into my spice grinder with some other spices for chili powder.
  • yzzi
    Options
    I was thinking about drying and grinding. I may give that a shot with the next batch. Did that with a bunch of chilies from my friend and they turned out great. The chicken bombs sound really good too. Good thing I have a bunch. Thanks  guys.
    Dunedin, FL
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Thanks Que 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Sea turtle eggs, inspired by @Nibblemethis !
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    i second the chipotles!
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    My wife grows them. We eat them almost daily this time of year.

We will seed, cut and saute' them with pork of ground turkey, any other odd veggies (Okra or green beans f'rinstance) and some Szechuan sauce and serve over rice....Thai style.

Some like it hot. We sure do.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    I made a jalapeno jelly once, it took a lot of peppers (which I see you have).  It was very good on pork chops, but not much else.  Lemme see if I can find the recipe... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Botch said:
    I made a jalapeno jelly once, it took a lot of peppers (which I see you have).  It was very good on pork chops, but not much else.  Lemme see if I can find the recipe... 
    jap jelly with cream cheese on a cracker is a great snack!  my mother in law will pickle them bread and butter style with onions and its great like that too.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    pickled bread and butter style for cheese burgers, hard to beat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Turtle Eggs, fried jalapeno sticks (mix em in with french fries), salsa, pico de gallo.

We had a bunch that were almost ready to go and something came along and ate all of our jalapenos, red peppers, and poblanos. And not just ate them, but stripped the plants of all the leaves and everything. Nothing was left behind but the stems. I was super pissed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

I hear you Griff. Something got both of my bell pepper plants and took the top half of my jalapeno plants. I revived one jalapeno plant, but have yet to get one. I was pissed too.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Griffin said:

Turtle Eggs, fried jalapeno sticks (mix em in with french fries), salsa, pico de gallo.

We had a bunch that were almost ready to go and something came along and ate all of our jalapenos, red peppers, and poblanos. And not just ate them, but stripped the plants of all the leaves and everything. Nothing was left behind but the stems. I was super pissed.

Chubbs said:

I hear you Griff. Something got both of my bell pepper plants and took the top half of my jalapeno plants. I revived one jalapeno plant, but have yet to get one. I was pissed too.

Wabbits.... I sense Wabbits abound. Those effers have been crushing my liatris, dahlias, and day lillies. I might go Elmer Fudd on them, but without the speech impediment.
  • TamaleTim
    Options
    Stuff them with cream cheese and chorizo.  I cook some chorizo and when done, add cream cheese to pan to soften and mix (about 75% cream cheese).  Put it into a ziploc bag and cut the bottom corner to use as a piping bag.  It's a breeze if you use one of the pepper roasters - basically a piece of bent sheet metal full of holes to hold the peppers upright.  Put them on your BGE for a half hour indirect ay 350.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options

Peach Jalapeno Salsa

We love this recipe:

Peach Jalapeno Salsa<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·         2 cups fresh peaches or 1 (15oz.) can peaches, drained

·         1 can (15 oz.) fiery roasted tomatoes, drained

• 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
    • 3 to 4 small jalapeños, finely chopped
    • 2 to 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
    • 1 tablespoon lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, dice peaches into half inch pieces for a chunky dip. Cook the onion, jalapeno and garlic on BGE at 325 indirect until tender. About 1 hour. Then finely chop the onion, jalapeños, garlic and cilantro. Add lime juice, cider vinegar and salt; toss well. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or longer.
    Great to make a day ahead.

• yzzi
    Options
    @vidalia1 that sounds really good. I love peach salsa.

@TamaleTime sounds like I need to pick up some chorizo on my next costco run. Sounds a lot easier to pipe it then wrap with bacon. 
    Dunedin, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Griffin said:

Those big green worms (i call them tomato worms) will strip a plant overnight. They'll eat up pepper and tomato plants.

Little Rock, AR

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    @Griffin, I'd look around for these. They are green horned caterpillars. Found three of them in our garden this year.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:

@Griffin, I'd look around for these. They are green horned caterpillars. Found three of them in our garden this year.

Thats what I was talking about. They arent all that easy to see either, if you have a bushy plant.

Little Rock, AR

• Bobbareeno
    Options
    Some Sevin dust will take care of the caterpillars. Those green ones are nasty. They even eat my green onions! The biggest problem with them is that they are so TINY and you don't realize what they're doing until they grow a lot larger and then devastate your plants. Good luck in getting rid of them.

Bob
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Every year I get a big batch of hatch chilies around now. They go one the grill to get some smoking and to remove the skins. Then I blend them with just enough good olive oil to make a tight-ish slurry. I pour that into ice cube trays and freeze it. The cubes go into intoa freeze bag and get used throughout the year. They add a ton of great flavor. Should work just as well with jalapenos.

I'm also a huge fan of pickled jalapenos. So good in Bloody Mary's...

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    I plan to picks some of mine this year. You can make boiled peanuts with them if like spicy. I'm going to make for the 1st time this year.
    Boom
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    Options
    Lots of great ideas here. I've grown jalapeño in he past and they are definitely high yield plants. I found a rub recipe that calls for jalapeño powder, which i couldn't find at the store. I bought some japs, cut in half, removed the stem and dehydrated skin side down. Ground and sifted. The powder is really nice. You can sub for chili powder or shake on steaks. Really good on popcorn, too. Good luck!
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Jalapeño pesto, jalapeños in escabeche, roasted peeled deseeded and frozen for later use ( freeze flat on cookie sheet when frozen place in freezer bags). The are endless ways to save those peppers for later.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx