Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to the forum - long time egger

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.  I'm one of the longer-time eggers out there ... 18 years with my egg, and it's still going strong.  It's easily been one of the best purchases I ever made.

I used to belong to the forum way, way, way back when ... don't see any old timers' names that I remember (Char-woody and Cat come to mind), so I'm looking forward to meeting some new folks and making some new friends.

I'm also looking forward to sharing recipes here and there with folks and maybe a picture or two - as well as swapping stories. 

Scott in St. Louis

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Let me be the first to say hello Scott.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hi Scott, I'm looking forward to your sharing of experience.  Welcome to the forum.  There's some interesting cooking posted here - from sous vide to charcuterie.
    Glad to have you with us Scott. Welcome!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Welcome back, Scott! :)
  • Welcome back Scott <:-P

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

@StlScott-welcome back.  I'm sure the forum has changed quite a bit in your absence. You may take look at www.greeneggers.com as many of the more seasoned eggers still reside at that site.  I won't try to eggsplain how the separation occurred as it was a couple of years ago.

Regardless, with 18 years of BGE eggsperience you could well be the most seasoned amongst the forum participants.  Glad you are back and share the wisdom.  "Judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement".

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... St Louis, using rockwood lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • StlScott
    StlScott Posts: 77

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and welcomes. 

@Lousubcap, yep - the forum's changed quite a bit.  I'll head over to greeneggers.com, as well.  Thanks for the headsup on that. 

@Henapple, yes - I've been using Rockwood before it was cool to do so  ;)  I have seen mention in the forums of Ozark Oak; I've not tried that one, but will be putting it on my list.

A quick perusal of the forum and recipes show that at least a couple people here and there have at least gotten some use out some of my old recipes.

StlScott

• finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Welcome back.  Just got back from Pittsburg where I went to PNC to catch a Bucs game.  Sorry
    MBGE in Charleston

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Hi Scott. Welcome back. Will be waiting to hear and see some of your cooks. Hope you enjoy it here.

Scot
    Large, small, and a mini
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Welcome back Scott. 
    Long Island, NY
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited August 2013
    Hey Scott welcome back. Looking forward to some of your cooks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Welcome back, Scott.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Welcome back.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Scott, I've been around just 13 years but C~W got run off years ago by JJ, if you remember him. BTW JJ passed away years ago.  C~W (Fred) set up shop on the Primo board, but dropped out of sight a couple years ago. Fred is OK, just doesn't cook or post much anymore he tells me via email. Cat dropped out of sight right after 9-11, though I hear she is fine - just too busy with her restaurant business. BTW this forum is not the old one and we still exist over there at greeneggers.com
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Welcome back.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• StlScott

@RRP, thank you for the update.  I'm sorry to hear about CW being run off ... but, I know there's always two sides to every story.  If you are still in contact with him, please tell him that Scott (used to be from Tampa) said hello.  Also sorry to hear about JJ's passing.  I could be wrong, but if he's the same person I'm thinking (strong personality, could talk your ear off), he called me a few times while I was still in Tampa to shoot the breeze and we picked each other's brains.  I came out ahead on that one ... as my brain isn't nearly as full  ;) 

I was/am never into the politics and ego part of bbq - or talking bad about folks.  I appreciate what everyone brings to the table, and try to learn something from everyone.  If I've learned anything as I get older ... it's that I'm a work in progress.  I'm also not big on all the gadgets (not for lack of want - but I simply didn't know that BGE items had exploded the way they did).  My egg worked, so I didn't find myself in places that sold the eggs all that often.  Go figure.

Let's do a quick run down ... original bands on the top/bottom, openers on the side ... my egg is an "off size" so most nests/accessories won't fit ... my bottom slider is just that, one slide - no screen ... and I've never owned anything even remotely like a DigiQ.  Having said that, that's number one on my list of gizmos to try out ... once I get my next egg.  I hope/plan on getting an XL to go with my large in the next six months or so. 

Glad to hear Cat's catering business is doing well.  I always remember trying to get my ribs to come out as nice looking as hers.  Judging by what I've been seeing lately on the posts these days ... looks like the bar's been set even higher. 

Now, I could be wrong about this, but I think you may have even emailed me some time back to talk about steak.  If so, then it's good being able to catch up with you.  Amazed to see that you're now a BGE cooking instructor.  Talk about a sweet gig.   Kudos to you.

Really appreciating all the welcomes...and catching up.

StlScott

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Good memory, Scott! Our email exchange occurred on May 8, 2000. I still have a printed copy in my recipe notebook along with your submission entitled "Scott's Infamous Mustard Rubbed Steak". I wrote you to thank you and ask how you came about trying that method. Btw give me a couple minutes and I will initate a PM with my email as I can probably fill in some blanks about other eggers of that era.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    ive been drooling for cats ribs, the junipers are loaded with berries this summer
    :D only been posting since about 2002 but pretty much read every old post back then. thats what i remember too back then, folks chasing people away, cw chased off to start the primo forum up, chet changed his name to greendriver and eventually left etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StlScott

Laughing ... I'm surprised that recipe for steak had legs and stayed around for a bit.  Having said that, I still cook that way - something about the mustard acting as an emulsifier and keeping things that have nothing to do with one another .... and combining them into one. 

I just dropped you an email, Ron - thanks for the PM.

StlScott