Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First attempt at reverse sear

FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 524
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
I cooked two steaks tonight using the reverse sear method. They were scrumptious. The wife and kids thought they were good also. Also for veggies I cooked some yellow squash is Italian dressing. To do it I used the 18 inch grate I have and I placed it right on top of the charcoal. I cooked about two min on each side then put the reg grate in and finished them to 140. The squash cooked for about two min on each side. It still had some texture and crunch.
image.jpg 281.3K
image.jpg 263.9K
image.jpg 211.7K
·

Comments

• SpringramSpringram Posts: 417
    Am I reading your post wrong? This sounds just opposite of reverse sear.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,452
    Good looking meal, pretty sure it is a "traditional" sear. Your cold meat was put right on the lump, Trex style, then finished to internal of 140º. 
    A reverse sear would be to put cold meat onto an indirect low temp egg, 250-300º, then at an internal of about 125º, pull the steaks, foil, and change to a direct setup, your 18" grid right on the coals. Once the egg is hot, finish the steaks to char the outside. 

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • @skiddymarker

I don't care how many times I read your signature, it makes me smile each time. I guess I one of the "10" lol. Good odds though eh?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • FiremanyzFiremanyz Posts: 524
    Yes I stand corrected, I did a regular sear on the steaks. I told you it was my first time. Either way they were tasty. I can't wait to cook them again.
    ·