Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Sunday Lunch

I had to think about it yesterday, but finally figured out its been two weeks since I've fired up the Egg. Part of that time, I was in Vegas and most of that time Mrs. G was out of town working one show or another (just in the second half of July she worked Atlanta, Chicago, Philly and Vegas to give you an idea). Kind of hard to get motivated to grill when its just yourself and the heat is pushing 100 degrees. Well, yesterday I decided to break that streak/drought. Nothing fancy, mind you, just some hot Italian sausages. Johnsonville this time as I just realized we are totally out of hot Italian sausage. Guess its time to make some more. Anyway, while Mrs. G was getting the Pioneer Woman's pot roast recipe all prepped and ready to go, I poured a lil bourbon and coke and me and the dogs stepped outside to fire up the Mini and get the sausages going.

It was hot, and I suffered through it with the help of my cold drink, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Served it up with on our best China (cuz it was Sunday and who wants to do dishes?) with some Chee-tos and another cold beverage. Let me tell you, it was hard work, but I know feel properly motivated and we've got some leg quarters and some 1.5" thick pork chops that need to be brined and grilled up later this week. I think I can handle it.

As for the Pioneer Woman's pot roast...pretty darn tasty, but I forgot to take pictures. I liked the fact that it didn't use any cream of this or that or the other soup or Lipton soup mix. Just beef broth, red wine and veggies I think. Anyway, gave me a reason to have some wine for dinner. Couldn't let the remainder of that wine go to waste, now could I? Maybe next time I can convince Mrs. G to cook it on the Egg instead of in the oven...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    No tots?? I am outta here...
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I would have, but Mrs. G had the oven pre-warmed for 275 for her pot roast and I figured if I touched it I might get **** slapped, so I had to settle with some Chee-tos which was ok by me since I haven't had any in 3 months. Wasn't as good as I thought they would be.

And I thought is was ouuuttta here. Geez, this used to be a much friendlier place...

;)

Rowlett, Texas

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited August 2013
    The pictures of the sausages look great and the pot roast recipe sounds intriguing too. I have to laugh when I see those sausages on the Mini, because in my mind I still think of you having a Large. So when I first saw the pictures of the sausages on the Mini, it looks like sausages you'd need to serve for the woman in the movie Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

:)) If that was my large, those would be some pretty big sausages. I don't think I would be able to eat a whole one.

I'm not a huge Bobby Flay fan, but I was watching an older episode of his new show yesterday morning and he was doing sausage and it looked so good I had to go get some. He coated his in canola oil and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. I've never done that, nor seen anybody do it, but I gave it a shot 'ceptin all we had was olive oil. I think it helped crisp up the casings a bit. Not sure if it made much of a difference though. On the fence if I'll bother with that step again or not.

Rowlett, Texas

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks great, Grif! Most of my cooks have been simple lately too. I'm with you on going back to certain carb items after doing away with them for awhile. They don't seem to taste as good as they did when you were not watching what you ate. I've found that out recently with regular French fries. Seem almost bland now. Weird.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Love sausage on the Egg.  Looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys