Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm making pulled pork and wings for about 40 people on Saturday...

Was planning on two 8 to 9 pounders, I could do a third on another rack.  How many wings would be sufficient?  I plan on buying fresh whole wings and cutting myself.  Plan is to overnight the butts then FTC and give myself 1&1/2 hrs for the wings to cook.  Also doing hotdogs for the kids on the gasser.  Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is my first cook for so many people.
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'd do a third. After you cook it, take the bone out and cut the fat... You really won't have 17lbs. Maybe chicken legs would be better than wings. Less prep... More meat... Less work. Just some ideas. You know us southern folk... Gotta make enough to kill people and those that survive have to take some home.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    You need a second egg. HINT HINT ;;) :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    second egg is a great idea.  SWMBO told me to get suggestions from you guys so she'll have to concede right?  I'll def. do a third butt.  about how many wings could I fit on the large with two grates?  May do legs, good idea there henapple.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    so looks like legs it is, do I do them the same as I would wings?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If you're cooking for Saturday you have a few days to experiment. Maybe legs for dinner.... Different ways
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    You could try lollipop legs. Google it. If you do, wrap the bones in foil as you cook them so you don't end up with chared bones. They will be impressed.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • I would do 3 myself, maybe a little left over but that's ok, I would also stick with wings instead of drummies,I think wings are a bigger hit.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    If you have other appetizers and wings do 3.  I just did this same thing this past Saturday and cooked 4 butts.  Could have done 2 with no leftovers but the third made another BBQ on Sunday and leftovers for those who came back.

Garnerville, NY
  • You definitely need a second egg!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    henapple said:
    If you're cooking for Saturday you have a few days to experiment. Maybe legs for dinner.... Different ways

Yep, I will do that. Legs and wings for dinner tonight!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • We had 31 people at our cookout.  We had plenty of other appetizers and I made 50.  There were none left.  I think next time I'm going to go with around 70 to ensure that there is enough. I  also did some pork sholder.  I would recommend 3 of them as well.

Good luck with the party.

• jls9595
    edited August 2013
    well the wings i made were awesome. used dizzy pig raging river rub before they went on the egg and shook in texas pete wing sauce (mild) for some and some lemon pepper garlic sauce for the others.  both were very good.  the legs could have stayed on for another 20 min or so but still good.  I'm glad I experimented tonight.  will prob. do mostly wings and if I do some legs as well will be sure and leave them on longer.  The Texas Pete wing sauce is great and really really good mixed with a little Lemon Pepper and Garlic sauce by World's Harbour.  The pic is all I left for SWMBO who isn't home yet.  She'll get some more this weekend. The plan is 3 butts, about 50 whole wings and 24 or so legs.  Along with all the sides and hotdogs.  I think that'll do for 40-50 people.  I'll post pics of the food from the party and a few of the "adult kids" playing in the bouncy castle we rented....could get a little crazy. 

*edit: I used cherry wood for the smoke which I think is my favorite for wings so far.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!