Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP. Salvage first Spare cook....

Had a rach of spares slow and low 4.5 hrs indirect at 225 and just checked and they seem tough....  Do I keep em going and wait or have i missed my window?  Can I salvage by foiling?  Damn!

Comments

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Yes. You can just cook longer or speed it up by foiling, either way you can save them
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • 225 is pretty low. Tough or dried out? If dried out, spritz them with apple juice and foil them to retain the heat and moisture.

If truly tough, they need more cooking. Foil them for at least an hour with apple juice and test them again. Get the grill up to 275 to 300 also. 225 is pretty low.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I usually cook baby backs since that's what the family likes. My spares always turn out a little fatty at 225 for 6-7 hours. Maybe I'm doing somethings wrong... Foil will speed up the cook though. At 225, you may have a few hrs to go. Also depends on if you are talking about the temp on the dome gauge or if you have a true grid temp. My ribs usually go for 6-7 hrs at that temp. Remember, their done when their done. 

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    yeah i may have em too low....  I went ahead and foiled half the rack with some aj...  this has turned into an experiment at this point.  have had my large for 8 yrs and never cooked spares.  somehow i knew this was not going to be an A
  • Big Ragu
    minniemoh said:
    I usually cook baby backs since that's what the family likes. My spares always turn out a little fatty at 225 for 6-7 hours. Maybe I'm doing somethings wrong... Foil will speed up the cook though. At 225, you may have a few hrs to go. Also depends on if you are talking about the temp on the dome gauge or if you have a true grid temp. My ribs usually go for 6-7 hrs at that temp. Remember, their done when their done. 

grid temp is 225.  using a PartyQ.  dome is about 10deg lower.  Guess I will have another few beers

• MacKay52
    MacKay52 Posts: 74
    225° seems low. I cook my spares at 275° indirect for 2 hours then I foil with some apple cider vinegar, brown sugar and additional rub. Back on at 250° for another 2.5 hours. Fall off the bone every time.
  • No matter how you cook them, if they are tough, they are underdone. Ribs fall apart when they are overdone.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Big Ragu

Thanks cen_tex....  They are coming up on 6 hrs.  I am going to give them another test.  These may end up ok now that I have cooked an additional few hrs.  Not sure what to expect from the half rack I foiled...  If nothing else I know that one will be tender.

that braun pic is creepy dude..?

• Big Ragu said:

Thanks cen_tex....  They are coming up on 6 hrs.  I am going to give them another test.  These may end up ok now that I have cooked an additional few hrs.  Not sure what to expect from the half rack I foiled...  If nothing else I know that one will be tender.

that braun pic is creepy dude..?

I'm changing the pic ASAP. It actually creeps me out too. So smug. What a tool.
  • 225 is fine but it's a 5-6 hour cook. They should be great.
  • Big Ragu
    Thanks for the help guys.  Came out good.  Not great.  Its like my wife said if I got these in a restaurant I would be thrilled, but off my own grill it needs to be great.  Def needed the extra time.  Next time I will go a little hotter.  The 1/2 rack that I foiled was not as good as the one that stayed indirect for the full 7 hrs.