Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Spares on a MBGE - Step By Step

Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited August 2013 in Pork
We love spares. We go ahead and buy St. Louis cut, choose a rub/sauce/wood combo, let the egg do it's thing, and reap it's sow.

We basically do a modified version of Aaron Franklin's YouTube video due to the condensed grid space on the Medium Egg.

While the Egg is preheating and getting to a stable 275 dome temp, I remove the membrane and rub the spares down. Today we chose another John Henry rub, his slippery hill sauce, and apple wood for smoke. I also trim off the loose meat and hanging fat.

I cut my 2 slabs of spares in half and place them in the VRack for 2 hours uncovered at 275 indirect dome temp. My drip pan typically has apple juice in it, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

After two hours, I open the egg and spritz the spares with a little bit of apple juice and coat a thin layer of sauce on them. I then let them sit for another 15 minutes to let the sauce settle.

When the 15 minutes is up, I spread some sauce on aluminum foil and place the spares meatside down and wrap them up tightly. I place them back in the egg for another 2 hours at 275 indirect dome.

Once we start getting within 15 minutes of the 2 hour mark, I start checking for doneness with the toothpick test. Once the toothpick slides in and the meat feels like it'll be tender but still have a good tug, I pull the spares and let them sit for 30 minutes.

Add your sauce of the day and enjoy!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments