Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Fire House Chicken

Local fire house does a chicken BBQ every year and the chicken is fantastic. I've also had chicken from the Elks, Seratoma Club and others that all have the same flavor. Anyone know the marinade/basting recipe? Would love to be able to make this on the Egg, and will still support the local charity BBQ's when they have them. Just want it more often.

Comments

• Why not just ask someone at the fire house?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Is the chicken covered with BBQ sauce or something else. The reason I ask is at our firehouse we do cook chicken for some of our fundraisers but there is no BBQ sauce on it. The chicken gets a "sauce" sprayed on it as it cooks over an open charcoal pit. If this is what you are looking for let me know as I know the sauce recipe.
  • freduc2freduc2 Posts: 68
    edited August 2013
    It's normally some variation of this..... Mix up in a small sprayer. Ingredients 1 lb (.5 kg). butter 1 cup (225 ml) water 1 cup (225 ml) vinegar 4 tbsp (60 ml) salt 1 tbsp (15 ml) pepper 4 tbsp (60 ml) Worcestershire Sauce 1 oz (28 grm). Accent Bring to simmer I leave out the pepper it clogged the sprayer, keep hot so butter stays melted. Shake often.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,851
    edited August 2013
    @Firemanyz -no BBQ sauce, done over open charcoal and basted/sprayed. @Freduc2 - thanks. I'll give that a try Every Sept the local fire Co does a chicken cook. We always plan on it for dinner that day, and will buy tickets even if we are not going to be home as a donation. I've asked, but could never get anyone to divulge the secret recipe. Have had similar flavor chicken at other fund raiser cooks as well.
    @Tjcoley I looked at the recipe above and ours is no where near the same.  I do not have it in-front of me right now but will try to dig it up for you.  The basic ingredients are Veggie oil, apple cider vinegar, eggs, salt, pepper (fine ground made a mistake last year and bought course ground, it does not work well) poultry seasoning and hot sauce.  I will get the measurements for you.  You will need to reduce it down as one batch makes about 3.5 gals of JUICE.