Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Get ready to turn up the heat as we dive into August. While there are only a few weeks left to perfect those tailgate recipes, summer isn’t over yet! Two things we’ll be making this month are Chile Rubbed Grilled Pork Chops and Bell Pepper Kabobs. Then, relax after a cookout with a cool dessert cooked on your EGG - Ice Cream Sandwiches! You can mix and match your favorite cookie flavors with ice cream flavors. Simple, yet delicious!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork shoulder posted from iPhone and etiquette question.

Hello all,
Doing a shoulder today (started last night and went like a champ O/N) and wanted to try posting from iPhone. Let me know if the pic ends up flipped or something.

Question- we were invited to a BBQ this afternoon and I was thinking of bringing this as pulled pork. Is that cool, or am I being a jerk if I upstage the host? Not trying to be cocky or anything, but he's no foodie, just doing burgers and chicken on a gasser. Should I make egg rolls or something more appetizer like instead?

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
image.jpg 1.9M

Comments

• Take the pork. Just be courteous to the host and thank him for allowing you to be there, Receive the compliments with little fan fair. Understand your situation, recently had to eat in-laws,"bbq" , was terrible. Be expected to cook from this day forward.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 835
    I would ask before taking the pork, no value in bending him all out of shape if you steal the show.

Gerhard
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,583
    You question has a portion of your answer. Upstage your host and jerk in the same sentence is a reasonable indicator. Great food is not half as good as mediocre food in good company.

I'd let the host shine as much as possible, and not better his main. If you can come up w. a side using the PP, go for it.

I 'd try turning it into a "paté." Mix some in a blender w. cream cheese and a dash of sauce. Mix more shreds in, maybe some pecan crumbles. Add nachos for dipping.
  • Black_BadgerBlack_Badger Posts: 1,025
    Thanks guys, good advice. Reached out to the host and he doesn't mind either way. Think I might try egg rolls. Anyone here done those? Wondering if it should pull or chop the pork.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,705

Reaching out to the host to get his "okay", covers your bases.

As gorgeous as that butt looks, I'd certainly pull it and make up a little Carolina-style vinegar sauce.  Your host will no doubt appreciate it. 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon