Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about pizza stones

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited August 2013 in EggHead Forum
So my birthday was Fri and one of the gifts I got was the BGE pizza stone. While reading the paper that came with I noticed it said stone was made of same ceramic as the Egg itself. So then it's not a regular stone like say pampered chef? Is their an advantage to using the ceramic stone for a traditional stone?
Boom

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I have read stories on here about the pampered chef stone breaking in the egg.  If you google it, I think I found the Pampered Chef stone to only tolerate temps up to 500-550.  I have a PC stone but only use it in the oven (ok, maybe I used it once or twice on the egg but kept the temp to 500ish).  I am waiting to get a BGE stone before doing anymore pizzas.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The advantage is high heat. Some porcelain stones note temps up to 600º, most home pizza stones note 450-500º. If you like to cook your pies at high temps, the BGE stone is a good investment as it seems to be able to tolerate whatever the egg can generate. PC stoneware typically has a 450-500º max. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    O, one more note I just remembered.  My pampered chef stone is warped....I think it is from the 2 times I used it on the egg and temps spiking. 
  • dizzy1
    dizzy1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I've seen soapstones advertised anyone use one? They look like they would be great but very expensive.