Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is wrapping rib in foil really necessary on the BGE?

Since the BGE is so well insulated is wrapping even necessary compared to a traditional metal off set smoker for Weber grill?

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    The only way I was able to achieve fall off the bone ribs was by foiling them...

Foiling isn't worth the hastle in my opinion,did 5 hrs direct at 250 and were as good or better than foiling!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • No. Not necessary at all. It is a matter of personal preference. I do not wrap, mop, spritz or sauce.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I've never done it and never plan to.
    HFX NS
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    No, it is not necessary at all.  I do not.  On the other hand, I would suggest that you try both methods and see what you and yours like the best.  As you will see on this board, both ways are done and are enjoyed by those who cook them.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i have been dealing with this and actually did them both ways yesterday......BOTH styles were very good....the ones I foiled were a bit more moist and tender but not to the point that it made it superior to the other rack.....just a different.

yesterday i foiled for one hour and in the past i have done two or more hours and for the egg that is simply too long as they literally come off bone within the foil.....or at least they did for me.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • msloan
    here are some pics from yesterday...the rack on the left inside the egg was not foiled....this pic was right before i foiled the rack on the right.  in the rest of the pics the rack on the red plate was not foiled and the rack on the yellow cutting sheet was foiled.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    No need to wrap on any smoker/grill. I don't wrap even if I do them on my kettle.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    IMO, the only reason to foil is if you want to speed the cook up. Attached is a pic of some spares passing the bend test. About 6 hours indirect, dome 250, no saucing. As you can see, moist and falling apart.
  • I usually foil-
    The leftovers
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    "To foil or not to foil, that is the question"...My eggsperience, if you have rib consumers who want "fall-off-the-bone" ribs then foil is the answer.  Beyond that, I don't foil as it is too much work and I enjoy the end product w/o that step.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    Just my 2cents worth, we nolong use foil. We have gone to butcher palerfor all of our wrapping, this doesn't speed the time, but it helps get the right amount of smoke flavor. Paper lets the steam out and keeps the moisture in, it also keeps the ribs from getting soggy.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    lousubcap said:
    "To foil or not to foil, that is the question"...My eggsperience, if you have rib consumers who want "fall-off-the-bone" ribs then foil is the answer.  Beyond that, I don't foil as it is too much work and I enjoy the end product w/o that step.  FWIW-YMMV-
    Lou, I hate it when you are right. No foil for me, either
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    I foiled some ribs for the first time just to try it out and all it did was steam the ribs and ruin the nice bark I had going,, no foiling no more..
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I foil. If you adjust your time you can have pullor fall off the bone.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • msloan
    After my latest experience I tend to think wrapping may not be necessary for me either. I think I may up my cook time from about five to six hours though to help achieve some extra tenderness.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

In three-plus years of egging, I have never foiled.  Today I have one rack of St Louis SR's just for my mate and I, and I am finally going to try foiling, just to see what it is about.

Also, this morning at the grocery store, we picked up a 4 lb boneless shoulder roast for a conventional roast tomorrow night, and a 10.5 lb butt for pulled pork next weekend.

Porkmania!

How about an "amen" on that!!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    No. Not necessary at all. It is a matter of personal preference. I do not wrap, mop, spritz or sauce.
    We B peas in a pod.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I cooked 2 slabs at 250 indirect for 5 hours today. No more foil for me. Next time I may leave them on a little longer but overall great smoke ring and tender.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited August 2013
    Foil speeds the process of making "fall off the bone" tender ribs.  You can get there without foil...but it'll take a lot more time and/or work (like spritzing with liquids every 30 minutes (Car Wash Mike's style)).

I just did these beef ribs (turbo) 1:15 indirect, 1:15 foiled (with some apple juice, drizzled with honey, and some sweet onions on top), 15 indirect with sauce, all at 330-350F:

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    gdenby said:
    IMO, the only reason to foil is if you want to speed the cook up. Attached is a pic of some spares passing the bend test. About 6 hours indirect, dome 250, no saucing. As you can see, moist and falling apart.
    I foiled tonight, and that was the exact reason.  I wanted to speed it up.  On the other hand, these were the most tender I've ever done.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I'm in the no foil camp unless it is my maverick probes

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    gdenby said:
    I foiled tonight, and that was the exact reason.  I wanted to speed it up.  On the other hand, these were the most tender I've ever done.
    No question that foiling aids in getting ribs tender.  No question that it changes the bark and the texture of the meat either.