Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First double Pork Butt

Options
shadowcaster
shadowcaster Posts: 620
Getting ready to do a couple pork butts tonight. I picked up a grill extender and finally got my hands on some bear claws that I have been wanting for a little while. I originally wanted to butts of the same size but due to work I could not go and pick them up myself so I had someone else go down and get them. I ended up getting one that is about 9.5lbs and the other one was about 9lbs but it is cut in half. has any one ever cut one in half, if so how did it turn out? I am planning in the smaller one to be done sooner than the large whole one so I will probably put it on a little later. What are your thoughts? I injected and rubbed the butts last night and I will put them on after work tonight. I will add a few more pics later on tonight.

Pure Michigan
Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    So far so good keep us posted and please show end result pictures. I am sure they will cook at different rates because of size. Sounds like they are both ready to go on at same time. I would start both at the same time. It will not hurt the smaller one to be FTC while big one is cooking. Just my 2 cents.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• shadowcaster
    Options

six_egg said:
    So far so good keep us posted and please show end result pictures. I am sure they will cook at different rates because of size. Sounds like they are both ready to go on at same time. I would start both at the same time. It will not hurt the smaller one to be FTC while big one is cooking. Just my 2 cents.
    Yea that is what I will probably do. I started to think about it more and figured I would rather have it done early than putting it on late and waiting for it to finish. Thanks!
    Pure Michigan
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Seems like the other option would be to cut the larger one into halves as well. That should give you roughly equal size pieces. They will probably cook quicker that way, plus you'll have more surface area and more bark. I think there's a limit where smaller is not better, but 4-5 # should be fine.

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    One step closer. Just waiting for the egg to get started up.
    Pure Michigan
  • Cerebellum300
    Options
    See my post on 5# butt that I just put up on the board. Don't yet know about taste but if looks mean anything, it will be good.
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Alright, they are on the grill. Bad news is the grate extender that I picked up won't fit the medium when using the platesetter. I was going to do the brisket that I had left over from last time but I guess there is always tomorrow ;-). Here is another picture...
    Pure Michigan
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    Well the butts came out really good. I ended up ha ing to foil them though I put them on just a little after 6pm Friday night. At 11 am sat the IT was 162. At 500 pm the temp was still at 162.0. So I foiled and finiched them off that way. Still turned out really good and everyone loved it.
    Pure Michigan
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Looks amazing!
    What sauce did you make for the side to go with it?
  • shadowcaster
    Options
    I get a bbq sauce in Detroit that goes great with pork. For sides we did corn on the grill, potato salad and some cole slaw 
    Pure Michigan