Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Firstest Smoke and Post!

Hi, everyone. Newbie here. Just wanted to make my first post about my first butt on my LBGE and give a little info on the process. Forgive me if I use actual words in place of acronyms. I have no clue what most of them mean. (Has anyone thought about posting a glossary?)
First, I went to Costco and decided that the meats there were too big for my first try. Mainly thinking of $ spent if it was a bust. 
So I picked up a 5# butt at Kroger yesterday. 
Prepped it last night. Removed maybe half of the fat cap. In my research I found that there are those who leave it and those that remove it. Since this one seemed a little thick, I decided to split the difference. Rubbed on a light coating of yellow mustard, followed by Famous Dave's Rib Rub. Wrapped it up and put it in the fridge for the night. Attached is the prepped butt's pic.
Lit the LBGE a little after 7a this morning with BTE Lump and some cherry chips.
Put the platesetter, an aluminum drip pan on top of the platesetter and the grate on after 10 minutes and closed the lid. The pan was slightly taller than the platesetter's legs, so I'll go with a shallower pan next time.
About 20 minutes later the dome was at 250 indicated on the BGE dome thermometer, and I put the butt on the grate. It took me a little while to get it regulated between 250 and 280 but I'd say about 1.5 hours into the cook it was pretty much staying within the 240 - 265 range. Once that was dialed in, it was easier to maintain than I expected.
First probe of the meat with my cheapo dial thermometer was about 7 hours into the cook. Reading was 168. Not sure how long it had been in the stall, so I pushed the dome temp up to 280. At 8 hours, I checked again and it was 200! Wrapped it in foil, towels and put it in the cooler. Attached is pic of finished butt.
I will post on the taste later on.
By the way this is my third time to use the egg. First was chicken that I way overcooked. Second was pizza from Papa Murphy's that was killer.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Looks pretty good...did you foil it or leave it bare on the grate the whole time? I'm assuming you didn't foil it judging by the time. I can't wait to hear how it turned out. Good job
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • Thanks. Left it bare the whole time. I had decided that if it was still in the stall on the second reading, I would foil it.
  • I would say it was tender and tasty. Not quite as flavorful as I expected. Should have sprinkled a little rub in as it was being pulled. All in all though, pleased enough with result to put it on the menu when we have a lot of family visiting in September.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    You can load these down with rub at the start- that will help. Some people like to inject an apple juice mixture- it should also boost the flavor. Glad it turned out well
    Greensboro, NC
  • OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    Welcome! Looks like a good first Butt.  My first cook was also "way overcooked chicken".  Tried some orange pork chops next - yummy; salmon after that - yummy; seared some ribeyes after that-real yummy; then jumped into a couple of 7.5 lb butts and three racks of ribs - made me slap my mamma! Then did some spatchcock chicken that was incredible.  You'll learn if you keep hanging out here.  Hope to see more cooks!

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Welcome aboard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... My pans are a little too high. Just push the grid down.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Welcome and glad your butt was a success.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
  • Welcome to the lifestyle! Great looking butt.

BTW, I only noticed one place where you might have been able to use an acronym... FTC - stands for Foil, Towel, Cooled.

The other one you may see a lot is SWMBO... She who must be obeyed. You can figure that one out on your own.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Removed grate and platesetter. Lit fire and closed dome after 10 minutes. Waited for 600. Put platesetter on, legs, down which brought temp down to about 450-475. Left the hat off (I forget what that damper-type thing is really called).Stabilized at that temp and put the pizza, on it's own oven-safe "paper plate", on the platesetter. 
    Took about 15-20 minutes for the center of pizza to get done.
    It was fantastic.
    Tonight I am going to get a cheese from there, add chopped pork and cheddar cheese and make it on the BGE stone I just got.