Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my staging table - a boon to keeping temps down

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
Here is a handy homemade table I made using scrap wood, aluminum flashing and some drawer knobs. I call it my staging table. It allows me to remove my hot grate to either position or turn over foods with ease and while out of the egg so that the temperature does not get away from me while my dome would otherwise be wide open. It works like a charm and clean up is easy! I still haven't mastered adding more than one picture at a time so bear with me...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    edited August 2013
    Another pix of it with a grate on it. The rear knobs keep it steady and from letting the grate slide off and the bottom has 4 rubber feet that grip the table top well. The handle in front is nothing but a way to carry it from storage!

• That's a nice eggcessory Ron! I was thinking about the need for a station that I can set hot things on. I like its simple design!
    Flint, Michigan
  • RRP
    edited August 2013
    Thanks. Note the top is solid but covered with the flashing. BTW this pix was taken before realizing I needed the rubber feet to keep it still.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    so let me ask you this when your egg is open you put that on top of the egg metal side down ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

@ Charlesmaneri This doesn't go on the grill. It's just something to set the grate on, meat and all, while he's flipping it and doesn't have to keep the egg open, which increases heat.  That's my understanding. 

• RRP
    edited August 2013
    imageCorrect Sookie! It is a staging table to work from while the hot grate is secured. Just envision chicken wings or whatever being flipped or being put on or taken off.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love it. Right now, I set hot stuff on a piece of slate on the ground. Something like this would let me stick it right on the table next to me.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nifty idea!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    I use 4 of the square concrete pavers on my deck to stage. This gives me a two x two foot area. Don't care about oil stains or any drips on them either.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Stroke of genius, Ron!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Very nice. I use the small plate setter for hot things, but that is much better.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Great idea! 

BTW, to attach more than one picture just click the "Choose File" button once for each picture you want to add. They can only be attached one at a time but, in my experience, there is not a limit to the number of pictures you can attach to a post.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Great idea and looks sharp. =D>
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN