Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjusting the dome

Options
Hi everyone. I just replaced my gasket for the second time in about 12-15 years. I'm having a hard time getting the dome adjusted. It's good from about 1:00 to 5:00, then 7:00 to 10:00 but fails the dollar bill test pretty badly past that. Any suggestions? I putting some butts on tonight so any help will be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    First up congrats on the longevity between gasket replacements (or running commando for all those years).  About the only thing I know that may help is to loosen everythng up, align the dome and base and get someone to apply heavy pressure (lean on the dome) to the dome when you tighten the hinge and band bolts.  Beyond that I would suggest searching here or google with "big green egg" in the query.  Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Best if both bands (top & bottom) run parallel around. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    I've realigned mine at least 3x now and I've only had the egg 2 mths.have a slight overbite in the rear but I'm going to live with it,as long as it seals right!!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • eddyg
    eddyg Posts: 17
    Options
    I found someone's YouTube video when I did a search for big green egg lid adjustment that I found pretty useful. I still have an overbite on my lid that is taking its toll on the back side of the gasket. But was able to get it to pass the dollar bill test at least. Good luck.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    So my dome seems to line up just fine but there is not much resistance around 10-1:00 when I try the dollar bill test. Is that going to be a problem with my butt cooking this evening? I have a BBQ Guru if that makes any difference

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I have no gasket, dome is way off line and fail the dollar bill test on 50% of egg and I am able to hold steady temp as long as I want. Beauty of the egg. Don't worry and fire her up
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I removed my lid to put the egg in a table. Set the lid back in place, measured and aligned the band, then tightened the bolt. Seal is tighter than before. Passes dollar bill test everywhere.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY