Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Brisket

After trimming the brisket a little more(thanks for the suggestions in the earlier post), the brisket is on the egg! My 7 week old son was up at 4:45am to make sure dad put the brisket on early enough for tonight's dinner. Planned on using white oak for smoke, but realized this morning there was no more. So, I am using hickory for smoke. Only other problem I didn't think about was the brisket being too long to fit on my large. Luckily I had a fire ring for a wok laying around to help with that. I wanted to use the Stoker for this cook, but the weather man is calling for showers and storms during the day, so I'm going commando. I will try to post updates during the day.

imageimage

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Good luck- make sure to leave enough time for a couple hrs FTC'd.
    Greensboro, NC
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Glad someone else has brisket questions this morning. I put this brisket on the large last night and it has been going for 12 hours. Pit temp is 230 and the internal of the brisket is 174. At what internal temp should I foil the brisket and put it back on the egg? I have always taken my briskets off around 200 to 210, but I have never foiled them before the end of the cook. Suggestions, o great and wise brisket cookers?
    Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207

@Wolfpack: Nice name & avatar! Thanks for the tip.

@JimboBQ: I'm not going to foil mine, but I think you are at a good point to foil. Someone with more brisket knowledge may say different! Good luck!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    @Raleighguy, what temp are you cooking? I agree you want to leave time for ftc.

@Jimbobq: You going through the stall just fine. You can foil or raise the temp to push through if you get tight on time.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Yeah, my impression is that most of the "great and wise" brisket cookers here do not foil brisket unless time becomes an issue.  Since I'm not a member of that club I'll defer to those who are if they contradict me. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RaleighGuy

I am chugging along at 300 degrees.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Man I like that table

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Good luck with your cook! I smoked a brisket on the egg last weekend and it came out great. Yours looks like a pretty good cut of meat. How many lbs?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RaleighGuy

@CajunEggHead: It is a Challenger Cart. I really like it.

@JohnInCarolina: The weight before trimming was just a little over 11 lbs.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You're off to a nice start. You can build yourself a rain proof box to hold your stoker in bad weather for pretty cheap.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869

@CajunEggHead: It is a Challenger Cart. I really like it.

@JohnInCarolina: The weight before trimming was just a little over 11 lbs.

You planning on wrapping it at some point?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RaleighGuy
    edited August 2013

@R2Egg2Q: The rain proof box for the Stoker has been on my to-do list for awhile, but haven't got around to it! Have to get on it soon so I can use it when there is a threat of rain.

Hated to open the egg, but I wanted to remove the wok fire ring since the brisket could now fit on the grid. Here is where I'm at right now. Don't know the IT right now since I don't have a thermometer in it yet. Don't plan on wrapping this one. Hopefully, I only have to open the egg once more to put on some ABT's and put a thermometer probe in.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• RaleighGuy

Well, the egg settled in at around 320 deg. this afternoon and I didn't fight it. Went to go put a therm probe in the brisket, and found out it was very close to being done. Good thing I went out to check on it! Let it go about 30 more minutes and then pulled it. This pic is the brisket about to get wrapped up for some FTC for a couple hours. Will post some sliced pics later on.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Looks great- hope it tastes that way too
    Greensboro, NC
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    that looks beautiful!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

Looks great. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RaleighGuy

Well, the finished product was good. My wife and I both agree that the point is good stuff! It was a fun cook, and fun to eat.

imageimage

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• How long did you have it on?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'