Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature difference

Options
Just trying out my new PartyQ, set it @ 250 and just to ensure everything was working properly set up the Maverick next to it.
For some reason the Maverick temperature keeps fluctuating between 255 and 271.
Is this normal? Should I care? The temperature on the PartyQ stays @ 250 - both probes are about 1 inch apart at the grill.

Comments

• D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    I'd be checking to see if the Maverick is fluctuating on the same cycle as the PartyQ fan.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    D_Train said:

I'd be checking to see if the Maverick is fluctuating on the same cycle as the PartyQ fan.

It does not - the PartyQ stays at one temperature. So I checked with boiling water to make sure the Maverick was working properly and it stayed @ 212.
    So not sure what the problem could be.
    Thanks for the advise.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    As has been posted before-someone with one watch always knows what time it is; someone with two or more is never sure.  If you are running low&slow a few degrees makes no difference and with hot&fast then go with a Thermopen high-speed read.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Your partyQ is displaying the set point, not the temp. They do fluctuate, look at some graphs folks post. No way it's staying at rock solid 250 on the button. JMO.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback - think I am going to get a Thermopen.
    Fully understand the fluctuations and not to worry about it.
    Thanks again guys.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I love my Maverick; I love my PartyQ, but I LOVE my Thermopen.

You will, too!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon