Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Raised Grid

Anyone have any suggestions on a good raised grid to buy for a large.  I looked at the one BGE has at Ace hardware and it seemed a little low and maybe even a little flimsy.  Anyone use any other ones?  Or guess I could just keep putting beer cans on top of my grid and placing another small grid on top of them!  :-)
·

Comments

• abpgwolfabpgwolf Posts: 137
    I have a Woo 2 from the Ceramic Grill Store. It works great and raises my grid to the felt line. I can also use the lower ring to sear or wok. A very handy device, very sturdy and built to last.
    ·
  • I have the swing grate and you can get extra lengths for the stand on the swing part and you can get  several inches above the felt line it is the best heavy duty cast iron type material will not bend

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    You have lots of options:

Ceramic Grill Store: http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/ -Check out the Woos and Adjustable Rig

Ceramic Grill Works: http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/ - check out the swing grate

Grill extender: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1151906/bge-grill-extender-group-buy/p1 - a nice low cost option. PM Eggcelsior
    to see if you can still get it

DIY options: grid on beer cans or firebricks, grid mounted on 3-4 stainless bolts/nuts//washers

If you have a plate setter that you want to leverage make sure the option you're considering works with it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,222
    Woo
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,559
    I picked up a grill dome extender for 1/2 price at a local BBQ clearance a year or so ago. It is very well made and sits on the fire ring, cooking height is about an inch above the felt line. It is about 2" smaller than the normal grid size so for a large, it is just under 16" in diameter. Not worth the $40 asked but for <$20, it is nice to have. 

Picture is in my MBGE, set-up for a reverse sear. It will sit right on the fire ring. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • ugabulldog56ugabulldog56 Posts: 26
    edited August 2013
    Thanks for all the replies and links!!!
    ·
  • Im really liking the swing grate but holy cow at the price with shipping!!!!  I guess if you wanna play you gotta pay!!
    ·