Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Help for a lamb newbie

Bought a couple of lamb racks to make next week. We've never had lamb before, so I'd appreciate some help. What is your recommended cooking procedure and seasoning for someone who has never cooked frenched lamb racks, and has never eaten lamb? Any help would be appreciated.
·

Comments

• Big RaguBig Ragu Posts: 146
    Check out my recipe in lamb section. Foolproof and very good.
    ·
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,275
    Sea salt, cracked pepper, freshly pressed garlic, fresh rosemary and EVOO is my go-to for lamb chops.
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,837

I like to marinate it in Italian salad dressing, fresh rosemary, lemon juice and some salt/pepper for up to 4 hours.  Much longer the lemon cooks the meat and it starts to become tuff.

Here is another method tried and true.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/seared-and-roasted-french-rack-of-lamb/

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 898
    Dyal_SC said:

Sea salt, cracked pepper, freshly pressed garlic, fresh rosemary and EVOO is my go-to for lamb chops.

+1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,368
    All those methods sound great.  If you have never had lamb then you should be prepared that it does taste different.  It has a distinctive flavor.  I absolutely love it, but my wife can't eat it. 

I have usually done the trader joes pre-seasoned lamb racks which have spices (definitely rosemary).  I think Dyal's combination sounds perfect. 

I really like lamb with a horseradish sauce for dipping (like you would a prime rib). I'm not sure this is traditional, but to my taste buds it really compliments the flavor.  Sometime I want to try grinding up some fresh mint in a horseradish sauce.  

I use a reverse sear to cook.  Indirect until around 120 internal temp, then get the grill around 500 and hit it real quick on each side.  It is pretty fatty so it will flare up.  If you want it to look prettier you can put foil over the bones. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • eggerbbqeggerbbq Posts: 27
    Thanks for the help. Does thyme go well with lamb? I don't have any fresh rosemary, but I do have thyme.

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 898
    eggerbbq said:

Thanks for the help. Does thyme go well with lamb? I don't have any fresh rosemary, but I do have thyme.

Thyme will be fine, oregano can be good too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·