Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help for a lamb newbie

Bought a couple of lamb racks to make next week. We've never had lamb before, so I'd appreciate some help. What is your recommended cooking procedure and seasoning for someone who has never cooked frenched lamb racks, and has never eaten lamb? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Check out my recipe in lamb section. Foolproof and very good.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Sea salt, cracked pepper, freshly pressed garlic, fresh rosemary and EVOO is my go-to for lamb chops.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297

I like to marinate it in Italian salad dressing, fresh rosemary, lemon juice and some salt/pepper for up to 4 hours.  Much longer the lemon cooks the meat and it starts to become tuff.

Here is another method tried and true.

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/seared-and-roasted-french-rack-of-lamb/

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Dyal_SC said:

Sea salt, cracked pepper, freshly pressed garlic, fresh rosemary and EVOO is my go-to for lamb chops.

+1

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    All those methods sound great.  If you have never had lamb then you should be prepared that it does taste different.  It has a distinctive flavor.  I absolutely love it, but my wife can't eat it. 

I have usually done the trader joes pre-seasoned lamb racks which have spices (definitely rosemary).  I think Dyal's combination sounds perfect. 

I really like lamb with a horseradish sauce for dipping (like you would a prime rib). I'm not sure this is traditional, but to my taste buds it really compliments the flavor.  Sometime I want to try grinding up some fresh mint in a horseradish sauce.  

I use a reverse sear to cook.  Indirect until around 120 internal temp, then get the grill around 500 and hit it real quick on each side.  It is pretty fatty so it will flare up.  If you want it to look prettier you can put foil over the bones. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• eggerbbq
    eggerbbq Posts: 27
    Thanks for the help. Does thyme go well with lamb? I don't have any fresh rosemary, but I do have thyme.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    eggerbbq said:

Thanks for the help. Does thyme go well with lamb? I don't have any fresh rosemary, but I do have thyme.

Thyme will be fine, oregano can be good too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD