Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

11-1/2 lbs butt

Locally farm raised freshly butchered.

Will sit in dizzy dust and mustard pack over night in the fridge. I'll start the egg up around 4 and get her on no later the 5 in the morning.

She'll be ready when she's ready. We have no agenda tomorrow so I've got as long as it takes.

More pics tomorrow.
Nashville TN 2 LBGE's and counting

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Enjoy the ride, only thing I don't like about starting cooks that early in the morning is that sitting in the smoke makes me want a adult beverage way before I should be having one.  I'm assuming you are shooting for dinner to serve?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • mdozier
    mdozier Posts: 90
    Actually I'm thinking a breakfast beer and cigar will be in order. After all, it will be Saturday. Yes, I'm hoping for getting it ready by 8:00 or so for dinner. But it'll be ready when it's ready so we'll see. Again, more pics as we progress. This is the first butt I've tried from our (only) local butcher so I'm looking forward to it. Thx M m
  • Wow. A true eggficionado.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Well then you already have a great plan so enjoy it. If it seems to be going slow don't be afraid to bump the temp up a little towards the end so you can eat at your targeted time. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited August 2013
    House rules -when the lump is lit, time for an adult beverage; when the food goes on, time for an adult beverage.  And then as needed/wanted to keep the supervisor properly hydrated and elevated.  Over-nighters and the early AM starts have quite a track record of copious consumption, all in the name of quality results.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mdozier
    Plan is to skip the "crutch" cause I'm in no hurry. I'm planning to go in at 250-275 instead of 230. Kinda in between a turbo and a 230 low and slow. Just got my new thermoworks 8060 hi-temp set to go with my thermopen so it'll be broken in tomorrow as well. Love the house rules, consider them adopted. Thx again m
  • mdozier
    The beast went on around 4:30 this morning, dome temp 250 and grate temp 270. She has slowly crept up as the meat has started to cook. I keep trimming the vents but it looks like we're settled in at 275 dome and a shade over 300 grate. I guess she's going to be a bit more turbo than I planned but that's fine too. At 11-1/2 lbs she's still going to take a while. Internal temp is moving nice and slow. Updates this afternoon. m
  • lousubcap
    Enjoy the journey-should be some great eats at the finish line.  I put an 8# butt on last night around 11 PM (EDT)-no rush and no eat-time commitment.  Still in the stall-running around 240-260 on the dome.  Could be a heavy adult beverage day...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Have a breakfast scotch, the rest of the day will fly by. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • mdozier
    Definitely a beer flavored beverage day here as well. Hope you enjoy your cook as much as I plan to enjoy mine. I've discovered that the meat probe on the high temp thermoworks kit (armored cable on the probe lead) keeps my lid from closing completely and thus the slow creep in temp. I trimmed the bottom vent to a tiny slot much more closed than I'm used to and shut the daisy-do-dad-thingy completely and can keep her pretty steady just shy of 300 dome. I guess maybe it's time for a new gasket. Hoping the thicker newer gasket will close better around this probe cable. Any other suggestions?
  • lousubcap
    @mdozier-I have never had a problem with probe cables interfering with the dome to base seal.  Given your settings I would check the dome thermo calibration when finished just to be sure about what you are experiencing.  Beyond that-focus on the end-results.  Have a great day and cook!
  • mdozier
    This probe cable is a flexible ss armored cable from thermoworks. It's just thick enough to hold the dome very slightly preventing the normal tight seal. Once I got the bottom vent trimmed right I'm still able to keep a good constant temp. Good idea on checking cal of the dome thermo. I'm consistently running about 25deg separation between the internal grate thermo and the dome so I don't think it's too far off. Should be getting to the stall in the next hr or so. Thx again, M
  • mdozier
    Ok. 10 hrs later

Just about fell apart in my hands as we went to the foil

• mdozier
    A bit of apple juice, butter and brown sugar.

Wrapped, toweled and off to the cooler for few hours.

Sampled: delish! Should be really good when pulled in 3-4 hrs
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Oh, mercy, that's a great looking cook!

Uh, what did you say your address was, again?

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    Way to hit the home-run!
  • mdozier
    Just finished and left the neighbors. 3 hrs rest in the apple juice butter brown sugar concoction was a big hit with everyone. The bone pulled out clean and the meat was very moist. All in all a great day. Lousubcap how did your day turn out? Another home run I'm guessing. Matt