Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

some Rita thawed veal shanks

Options
Hustling Hare
Hustling Hare Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Rita gave the Houston a glancing blow that insulted our trees and gave ua a two day, or so, power outage. Lots of things to cook like fish, shrimp, italian sausage (wonderful wife made great spaghetti sauce), boudin, some steaks, and a couple of nice veal shanks. I have cooked most of the fish and shrimp and the steaks. The veal shanks are too expensive to chunk out so I thought I'd ask you eggsperts what options might be interesting with my BGE. I believe they are still ok as they were still pretty cool when we got home and there was still a lot of ice in the freezer where they were waiting for a special occasion. Gotta' cook 'em soon, however. Any good ideas?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]It's good that you are safe and sound. Here is a wonderful meal using veal shanks. A little pasta & some bread to soak up the broth brings it all together.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Ossobuco con Porcini
    Recipe from B. Caggiano, Trattoria Cooking[p]1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
    3 ½ pounds of veal shanks (1” to 2” thick)
    2 cups flour
    2T butter
    3T olive oil
    2 stalks celery – diced
    1 carrot – diced
    1 cup dry marsala
    1 cup broth, from veal if you can, or from beef & chicken
    1 cup canned Italian tomatoes – strain to remove seeds
    salt
    pepper
    2T chopped parsley[p]Soak mushrooms in warm water for 20 minutes, strain and save the water. Rinse the mushrooms well in cold water and chop roughly. Strain the water through paper towels to remove any grit. Save 1 cup of the liquid.[p]Dredge the veal in flour and shake off excess. Heat butter and oil in a large heavy skillet. When the butter foams, add the veal and cook until brown on both sides. Remove the veal, add carrots and celery to the skillet and lightly brown. Return the veal, add the mushrooms, add the wine and cook until the wine is reduced. Add the broth, tomatoes and the strained water from the mushrooms and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, cover the skillet with the lid slightly askew. Cook on low for 1 ½ to 2 hours until meat falls away from the bone. Stir in the parsley and serve.[p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Osso bucco is what I originally bought them for and have fixed it before with success. Your recipe sounds better than what I have followed. I suppose I could cook it in my BGE but it works well enough in the kitchen. May have to do Osso Bucco anyway but thought I'd post here and see if there are any intriguing BGE, possibly low-and-slow ideas. Thanks for your recipe, it may be tried very soon.[p]btw, yes we are fine, we evacuated from near the coast to the west side of Houston and returned yesterday. BGE was safely tucked away in a corner of the garage and is fine.[p]HH

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Hustling Hare,[p]You should try it in the Egg using a dutch oven or other similar heavy pot. The sauce picks up a neat flavor similar to a "brick oven" pizza. [p]We were in Corpus Christi during Carla, Beulah and Celia, and were very lucky too.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery