Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cluster flies

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
Anybody ever have a problem with Cluster Flies in the house? Front hall had a bunch flying around tonight. Bug A Salt had 4 confirmed kills and 2 MIA after being shot. Later on had 3 more kills. I understand it probably means a dead animal somewhere. Removed a dead mouse a couple days ago. Bigger and slower than regular house flies. Wondering how long this will go on. The Mrs. Isn't real happy with me and my son running around the house shooting them, but it's been effective so far.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the Mrs would prefer flies, there's a football game on Sunday.... ;)
    Options
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    We have parrots, and two things you will always have to deal with with birds are hatch-outs of flies and moths.

Only two things work; clean up and find the source, and get the buggers that are out and flying.  One of the best ways to rid yourself of the swarms is to wade into them with a vacuum cleaner.  You can also leave traps of partially filled glasses of soda and get one of the wand type zappers.

Once they're out, you must be extra careful of starting other source sites.  Keep the garbage clean, don't let dirty dishes pile up, etc.  Oh, and at night if you turn off the lights and use a flashlight you can spot where they are resting on walls and ceiling.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great pic Doc.  Nice looking parrot.  Great ideas, but the Bug A Salt is so much more fun.  These things are so slow you can easily grab them with a paper towel when they land somewhere. Most take at least 2 shots of salt.  Kill count is up to 12, and haven't seen any more for the past few hours.  The invasion is hopefully over.
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I'd never heard of the Bug A Salt until now. Just checked out some of the videos on YouTube. Man I gotta get one of those!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Great pic Doc.  Nice looking parrot. 
    That is Cyrano de Birdiac.  He is a Blue and Gold Macaw.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys