Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cluster flies

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,874
Anybody ever have a problem with Cluster Flies in the house? Front hall had a bunch flying around tonight. Bug A Salt had 4 confirmed kills and 2 MIA after being shot. Later on had 3 more kills. I understand it probably means a dead animal somewhere. Removed a dead mouse a couple days ago. Bigger and slower than regular house flies. Wondering how long this will go on. The Mrs. Isn't real happy with me and my son running around the house shooting them, but it's been effective so far.

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,019
    If the Mrs would prefer flies, there's a football game on Sunday.... ;)

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,867
    We have parrots, and two things you will always have to deal with with birds are hatch-outs of flies and moths.

Only two things work; clean up and find the source, and get the buggers that are out and flying.  One of the best ways to rid yourself of the swarms is to wade into them with a vacuum cleaner.  You can also leave traps of partially filled glasses of soda and get one of the wand type zappers.

Once they're out, you must be extra careful of starting other source sites.  Keep the garbage clean, don't let dirty dishes pile up, etc.  Oh, and at night if you turn off the lights and use a flashlight you can spot where they are resting on walls and ceiling.
    IMG_5555.JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 2M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 2,874
    Great pic Doc.  Nice looking parrot.  Great ideas, but the Bug A Salt is so much more fun.  These things are so slow you can easily grab them with a paper towel when they land somewhere. Most take at least 2 shots of salt.  Kill count is up to 12, and haven't seen any more for the past few hours.  The invasion is hopefully over.
    If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots.

Durham, NC
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 3,867
    Tjcoley said:
    Great pic Doc.  Nice looking parrot. 
    That is Cyrano de Birdiac.  He is a Blue and Gold Macaw.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys