Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easing the family into it?

Hey, question. We had Al's Meatloaf tonight, smoked with about a 30 minute puff of cherry smoke, half slathered in chipotle BBQ sauce, the other half a simple pepper steak sort of sauce. Pretty hearty and delicious (and wow moist!). I loved it, dad loved it. Family? Well, it was meatloaf afterall. To be honest the wife thought it was 'fine'.

I smoked it, of course, so smokiness was hoped for, expected and achieved. I did get the following question from the missus......"so, is everything gonna taste smoky? What if I just want some chicken breasts....you know, the way it was on the old (propane) barbecue? Some BBQ sauce and that's it?"

We're gonna try it Saturday. I'll drop the grill down off the beer cans (adjustable rig is 'in the mail'), and cook the chicken like i would have on the old grill. I'm assuming that the shorter time spent on the fire might reduce the smokiness? Our "Christening Skillet Cookie" had a decidedly 'smoked' taste to it but that's because the GREEN Egger in me didn't realize you should wait for clear smoke after lighting new lump - I suspect that's why the cookie got smoked?

Anyway, I'm SUPER excited about the Egg and don't want to over smoke the family - it's definitely a taste to ease into if you're not on the connoisseur side of grilling.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    What lump are you using? Some are 'smokier' than others. With no wood chips/chunks, and the right lump (WGWW or Wegmans RO) I get no smoke flavor at all
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    My wife thinks the smoke flavor is gross too. I like it but I try not to smoke things too much because when I ask her how it is she says "taste like charcoal."
    NW IOWA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Just let your lump burn at temp for a while to clear VOC's and then cook; this will cut back on smokiness. For desserts, cooking theum after cooking the meal is helpful since the lump will definitely be really clean burning at that point. If it is just the dessert or you want to cook a non-smoky dish, let the lump burn for 30 minutes once at cooking temp. Also, when relighting lump, you can cook more quickly since the VOC's were burnt off last cook.
  • Eggcelsior nailed it. If I don't add chips, I'd don't get much of a smoke flavor. Make sure you wait until you have a blue thin smoke and not that nasty white smoke. But you are cooking over wood, so there will always be that outdoor kind of flavor.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Tjcoley said:
    What lump are you using? Some are 'smokier' than others. With no wood chips/chunks, and the right lump (WGWW or Wegmans RO) I get no smoke flavor at all
    Ozark Oak and Rockwood lumps seem to be very smoke neutral as well.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• macboy
    macboy Posts: 14
    I've got a bag of plain old Royal Oak that I haven't tore into yet. The lump in the egg currently is called Maple Leaf. Is there something specific you can look for in lump that will give you hints as to whether it'll be a flavourful wood or not (like kind or blends of woods etc)?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    macboy said:
    I've got a bag of plain old Royal Oak that I haven't tore into yet. The lump in the egg currently is called Maple Leaf. Is there something specific you can look for in lump that will give you hints as to whether it'll be a flavourful wood or not (like kind or blends of woods etc)?
    Maple Leaf is fairly neutral on a first burn, Royal Oak second burn is very neutral, IMHO. Try chicken breast done raised direct, 400º, on a stable (give it 30-45 minutes),second burn load of lump. Once the CBs are at 150º IT, slather on the BBQ sauce SWMBO wants and you will have a convert. The CBs will be juicy and the BBQ sauce will pretty much kill the small amount of smoke flavour. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • macboy
    Thanks Skiddy. Will try tomorrow night. Raised to the felt line enough? Adjustable rig is still in the mail.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Raise to felt is where I do them. Brine the chicken breasts if you can. 1 gallon water, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar. Bring water to a boil and dissolve sugar and salt. Let brine cool. Soak chicken 3-4 hours up to overnight. Rinse chicken in cold water, season, then throw on egg raised direct @ 375-400. I just recently started brining chicken breasts and they are awesome.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and all good info above. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Once the eggs lit try and let it settle a desired temp for at least 20 or until the smoke out of the daisy wheel is almost non existent. If you put the food on too early you get a charcoalie taste which is unappealing
    HFX NS
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I always thought the flavor of wood charcoal was universally appealing. It isn't. Many people, mostly women that I have seen, don't care for it. That would include my wife.

A good burn, stay away from cowboy lump, i recommend ozark oak in lieu of the lack of wgww. When you want to add smoke stick with fruit woods and a little goes a long way. I use 3 chunks for ribs, 6 for butts, 1 for poultry.
  • Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    My wife had the same issue 3 years ago when we got our Egg. I just made sure to buy good quality lump charcoal and let it get a good clean burn on it befor you put the meat on. That will help keep the smoke down. Also, remember that smoke penetrates ground beef/meatloaf more than it will a solid cut such as chicken or brisket.

And don't worry befor you know it your family will not like food cooked on a gas grill.
  • macboy
    SUCCESS EVERYBODY! Thanks for all the tips! Big basket of grilled veggies nd some perfect, non-smoky chicken breasts! So, so moist!
  • Getting the lump to a clean burn is key. My first low and slow pork butt bark tasted like charcoal, but since its been much better and no nasty taste.
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'