Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aaron Franklin Ribs

Has anyone tried the Aaron Franklin Rib recipe as shown in his You Tube video?

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    No, but I've watched the videos many times... I think @nolaegghead did the brisket a few weeks back.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    No, but I've watched the videos many times... I think @nolaegghead did the brisket a few weeks back.
    Except for the wrapping in paper part.  Pretty much the same.  I didn't trim fat where I needed mass.  Got rid of most of the hard fat.    Best brisket I've ever cooked.

I firmly believe starting with a good piece of meat is half the battle.  That's the main difference with boston butt where the meat quality is more forgiving.
    @dstearn We do cook them his way, just different rub. SWMBO loves spare ribs, but isn't a big fan of black pepper.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @Chris_Wang - if you use regular grind black pepper for Franklin's brisket, it will be too peppery. You must use a 16 mesh grind black pepper. That is what Aaron uses. Finding 16 mesh is not easy but can be done. I order mine from The Spice House somewhere in Wisconsin. A one pound bag will be enough for a long time. Also be sure to use only kosher salt.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Springram
    Sorry I started blabbing about Franklin's brisket recipe when the thread was about his rib recipe. 

I have no idea about his ribs.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    Except for the wrapping in paper part.  Pretty much the same.  I didn't trim fat where I needed mass.  Got rid of most of the hard fat.    Best brisket I've ever cooked.

I firmly believe starting with a good piece of meat is half the battle.  That's the main difference with boston butt where the meat quality is more forgiving.

Interesting you had your best luck with his approach, because it's about as simple as it gets, particularly if you didn't wrap.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    @Springram @Mickey @Nolaeggheaf @JohnInCarolina I'll probably give his way a go next time Brisket is up... Sometimes I just watch his videos when I need a q hit. Except the Thanksgiving one.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• I did his ribs.  They came out fantastic. Neighbor said they were the best they ever tasted. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Did you use his rub recipe? 16 mesh pepper. I was thinking of using the Dizzy Pig rub.
  • I followed the recipe but couldn't find 16 mesh so just used less pepper. Dizzy pig is fine I'm sure. I am really referring to the cook time and procedure. Great texture and pull.
  • Springram
    A few months ago, I contacted the place in Austin where Franklin gets his pepper. They do not ship unless the order is at least $150. Nice people but I do not need that much pepper! :<) I cannot remember the name of the place but if you live in the Austin area, they will sell you a one pound bag if you show up. Just google spices in Austin....maybe wholesale spices.

Penzy's does not carry it but I did find it at The Spice Shop. One pound for about $12.00 plus shipping. 

As @s_austin_egger stated, you can very likely adapt the recipe using regular grind by using less pepper.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2013
    Got to checking around for 16 mesh grind black pepper. Central Market (HEB) seemed like a good place. Went to Austin and they have 12 and 25 in bulk stock. Sent a couple of emails and seems that Plano has in bulk stock. @springram and @griffin
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.