Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

butt temp question

I smoked my first butt yesterday, it was big one weighing in at 7.5 lbs.  I got the fire rolling at 225, with PL in place and some hickory on the coals.  My maverick was in and it went on the grill about 9pm.  The starting temp was about 40 and by the time I went to bed it was about 100, progressing nicely.  Got up around 8am and the temp was up to about 150, stall in full effect.  I wanted to do this one without the texas cheat so I planned for hours to spare just in case.  Around noon the temp had hit about 180 and I expected it to start to speed up again, shooting for the 203 mark.  At 3pm, I'm starting to get worried because people would showing up in a couple of hours and the temp was still in the 190s and it still needed to rest and be pulled.  I ended wrapping it in some foil and got to 200 and called it.  The butt was great but I'm wondering if that slow progression at the higher temps is expected?  All in all it was about 17 hours at 225.

Comments