Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Michigan Longhorns? Farmer's Price Quote

Options
I was at a farm today for professional reasons and out of the blue the farmer asks if I knew anyone intetested in longhorn beef. I was quoted $2/lb hanging weight. Yearling or bigger, there's no difference in price. Is this a decent price?
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    The one we are buying is a Longhorn Angus cross and we figured 2.40/pound, so that price is pretty good.  Longhorns are pretty lean.  The old people used to say good flavor but tough chew. I have not had a true longhorn steak since I was a kid and I don't remember if it was tough or not. Longhorns are pretty disease resistant that is why they are crossed with other breeds.    
    Check out the Longhorn breeders registry and see if he is listed.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I tried an internet search and there are a number of Longhorn Associations, but I didn't see the farmer's name.  The farmer said they are steroid free and mentioned the lean quality of longhorn beef.  She said they include some corn with their feed in order to get a little marbling. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    $2.39/lb, processing INCLUDED - current going rate in my area. And this is for VERY good freezer beef. Your results with Longhorn and/or grass fed may vary.