Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Visited The Wok Shop

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I was in San Francisco the other day & made a quick visit to The Wok Shop. I decided to get a 10" wok for use in my Mini but had a little difficulty locating it among all the woks. Here's how the shop looked:

imageimageimageimage

Someone asked if I needed help finding anything so I showed her a picture from one of Mickey's Mini wok posts. She asked where the picture was from and called over Ms. Tane Chan who asked me if I was "Mike's Green Egg friend" and if I was there to pick up a 16" wok (I guess someone else guided there by Mickey). Ms. Chan quickly got me set up with the right wok & some accessories. 

I thoroughly enjoyed chatting with Ms. Chan. She was very appreciative of all of the business all of us Egg owners bring to her. Unfortunately, I had to keep it brief as my wife was circling the blocks waiting for me to walk out (parking in S.F. Could cost more than the wok!).  I asked to take her picture but I caught her on a "bad hair day". :)

Seasoned the wok in the gasser and followed it up with some chives and did a quick stir fry of some garlic & snow peas.

imageimageimageimage

I'm looking forward to really putting the wok to use!

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2012
    That is a great story. Love the fact that she has Mikey's egg friends.
    Question: will the metal spatula scratch the seasoning?
    Did you already have a ring to use on the mini?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • R2Egg2Q
    I have scratched some of the seasoning off of my other woks before (with a different spatula) so I would expect this one do the same if I'm not careful. I also had a wooden spatula handy during this first cook & the seasoning came out of the first cook unscathed. The wok is sitting on a Mini Woo and it fit fine.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    im using metal as well.. i dont think a scratch here or there will really effect the cook
  • Alligator
    Alligator Posts: 35
    Thanks for the pictures.  I love the wokshop.

I use a combination of metal and wood utensils on my two wokshop woks.  I haven't had any issues with them.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Wow great post. Thanks.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Have never see wooden spatulas used in a commercial Chinese kitchen.  They all use metal and no problem.  Metal may scratch a little but in time the scratch will disappear as the woks gets more seasoned.
  • R2Egg2Q
    I applied grapeseed oil and baked it at about 450 for 20 minutes. I did this 3 times and did the step with chives a few hours later to help remove any metallic flavor. I have a 16" from CGS and it took me a while to wash off the oil (I believe it's a machine oil) before I could move on to seasoning.

Bay Area, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I plan on getting the wok, did u just pick up the kit with hand tools and lid also? Thanks for the tips on seasoning it.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thank you for the update from her. She is a very nice lady.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• R2Egg2Q
    I plan on getting the wok, did u just pick up the kit with hand tools and lid also? Thanks for the tips on seasoning it.
    I have some tools already so I only bought what I needed and not the kit (which I suspect they assemble as they fill orders). If you give them a call, I believe they can put together whatever you want if you don't need the whole kit.

Thanks for the info... sounds like I could probably have it turned around in a day or two with a little effort. Did you let it cool down in between 20 min cooks?

Do chives have any special properties, or was it simply a very cheap practice food?

I let it cool a little (mostly because wiping down a really hot wok with a towel is kind of scary). Per the "after the wok is seasoned" instructions from The Wok Shop, "With a handful of chives, scallions, ginger, garlic, onions, or combination of these pungent veggies, rubbing and tossing up and around the sides until charred... Chinese prefer chives because chives work/wok best; if not available, any pungent veggies will work. Pungent veggies contain the chemical allium which removes any metallic flavor in the wok."

I'll take their word for it & for what it's worth, we didn't detect any metallic flavor.

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Thank you for the update from her. She is a very nice lady.

Oops, missed this one. Thanks for your past posts on your 10" wok Mickey. It made it very easy for me to get the right wok. And I couldn't agree more that Ms. Chan is a very nice lady.

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited August 2013
    Ms. Chan says hello to all the eggers. Stopped in today with the family to say hello.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Ms Chan and her brother, Randy, are really fun and knowledgeable. I recommend all Eggers visit their shop when in San Francisco. I bought the wok for my Mini while I was there in April.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Springram said:
    Ms Chan and her brother, Randy, are really fun and knowledgeable. I recommend all Eggers visit their shop when in San Francisco. I bought the wok for my Mini while I was there in April.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

Randy was great. He talked to the kids about all the woks and we all bought custom chop sticks for home. We use them at least once a week so we all thought it was cool to have our own.
  • R2Egg2Q
    I was in San Francisco Chinatown today and had time to visit The Wok Shop today. As requested by @Mickey, here's a pic with Ms Tane Chan & her brother Randy:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I had a nice time chatting with them about Eggheads, Eggfests, and seasoning woks. They're really nice folks!

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. Thank you for the post
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.