Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions?

Options

I will be throwing some baby back ribs on my LBGE on Saturday and I'm looking for ideas on other things I could cook at the same time. (Other than pulled pork.  I have enough of that in the freezer already.) I'm open to new ideas. 

One thing I was considering was low and slow wings.  Never tried it, and I'm wondering if it would work out.  Anyone ever tried it?

I'm hitting the store at 5:00 PM Central, so any ideas before then would be great.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.   

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Won't take as long as the ribs but sausages or fresh corn on the cob.

Not sure about the wings... I've never done them low and slow.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've done wings at 275 indirect for about 1.5 hours. Not a real efficient method but they turned out great. May be a good fit with the ribs. I did them over a butt. Same concept.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Beef Short Ribs ..- they need to be wrapped at some point.

Leg of Lamb or Lamb Shoulder

Pork Belly (Portion)

Turkey Legs

Ham Hocks for soup 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the skin can get nice and crispy done low and slow, they are a drier texture than when done fast as theres less grease left with the longer cook. ive done lots of low and slows, lots of hot cooks, but with wings ive settled in with 300/325 direct.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cajuncook
    Options
    Low and slow wings are great.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    My last couple of rib cooks, I've thrown about a half dozen red potatoes on the top rack of my two-tier.  I stab them, put 'em in a ziplock and add a little olive oil and Dizzy Dust and shake up really good.  Last time I left them on for almost the entire cook with the ribs @230 or so for five hours and they turned out great.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I've done wings @275 indirect for 3 hrs with JD smoke chips.  All the fat gets cooked off and you're left with a crispy skin while the meat is still juicy.  They only stay like that fresh.  After a day in the frig, can't tell the difference between that and regular wings.

This batch was done with a 30 min marinate of 3 part soy-sauce, 1 part sugar, 1 part sesame oil.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I will try the low and slow wings. I'm making a batch tonight at a higher temp (raised direct) using the same recipe as I will use tomorrow. It will be interesting to see which one I prefer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Don't know where you live, here in Utard it's just about peach season.  I normally grill them hotter, but wonder how they'd work for a portion of a low-n-slow.  Hmmm....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Kempy
    Kempy Posts: 188
    Options
    Almost forgot to take a picture but tonight's wings were amazing. The best I've made to date, maybe the best I've had. Really crispy. The low and slow have some work to do to top these.